Breed please? She was all black but now has brown

off-grid hen

Songster
Mar 1, 2011
Upstate NY

I think this is a female, she was all black as a duckling. She is about a month old. I think it's a cayuga. I'm new to ducks. Thank you. :)

Last edited:

I think this is a female, she was all black as a duckling. She is about a month old. I think it's a cayuga. I'm new to ducks. Thank you.
smile.png
If Cayuga she would still be blk, at first I though KC but looked them up and doesn't look like one I'm not sure where did you get this duck? sure is pretty.

She is a hardware store duck. Cashier had no idea. My husband brought home 3 ducklings and 3 turkeys (Not sure their breed either). The other 2 ducks are Pekin and crested.

Can feed store assortments be mixes? I thought they were assortments of different breeds. I'm not saying the hatchery they were purchased from has exemplary breeding stock, but I wouldn't think they'd be mutts. That hasn't been my experience with chickens, anyway. :). She has lots of personality and we like her. Maybe someday she will like us lol. I will post a photo when she is older.

Last edited:
Can feed store assortments be mixes? I thought they were assortments of different breeds. I'm not saying the hatchery they were purchased from has exemplary breeding stock, but I wouldn't think they'd be mutts. That hasn't been my experience with chickens, anyway.
smile.png
. She has lots of personality and we like her. Maybe someday she will like us lol. I will post a photo when she is older.
The only feed store I've been to that had poultry had pur breeds from hatcheries. I didn't think they sold mixed either.

Can feed store assortments be mixes? I thought they were assortments of different breeds. I'm not saying the hatchery they were purchased from has exemplary breeding stock, but I wouldn't think they'd be mutts. That hasn't been my experience with chickens, anyway. :). She has lots of personality and we like her. Maybe someday she will like us lol. I will post a photo when she is older.
Hmmm... Well in that case I don't think she is a mix. Maybe a Rouen?

Last edited:
Well, I guess we will have a surprise when she is older. I'll post another photo in a month or so. :D. Here is a photo of her the day after DH brought them home. All black.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom