Breed project

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
I was looking at Direchickens wonderful chick sexing project https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-sexing-project.567356/

And it got me thinking, how cool would it be to have a list of hundreds of breeds in one spot? then you can identify your chicken much easier instead of searching “red chicken with yellow legs“ or “white fluffy chicken with dark skin”

Im still trying to figure out a way to organize this so its easy to read, but i would love to start this project asap.

If anyone is willing to donate photos for a ID article that would be great! Along with the photo, please write the age, gender and breed. Pure chickens only please! No mixes. Thank you!

I will most likely keep this limited to adults but i might add in chick versions too if i get enough photos.

There are countless chicken breed books, hatchery sites, and of course Feathersite. Omlet.com is a good resource for keepers in the UK as it caters to breeds overseas. These are all great resources for what you're talking about. I think simply using these is more efficient then compiling submitted pictures of variable qualities :) I've started and have been meaning to continue on a google sheet that allows users to filter based on desired characteristics. That's the only niche that I can think of that really needs to be filled :)

There are countless chicken breed books, hatchery sites, and of course Feathersite. Omlet.com is a good resource for keepers in the UK as it caters to breeds overseas. These are all great resources for what you're talking about. I think simply using these is more efficient then compiling submitted pictures of variable qualities :) I've started and have been meaning to continue on a google sheet that allows users to filter based on desired characteristics. That's the only niche that I can think of that really needs to be filled :)
Your right, but i was interested in doing this because i think it would be easier for people to read on breeds if it was sorted into categories based on the leg color, feather color, etc. along with basic information underneath about them.
I also think it would be a very fun project to complete.

Yes. I would love to be able to “filter” based on comb type, leg color, number of toes, feathered vs clean leg, etc. ❤️❤️

Back
Top Bottom