Breeding Americana Rooster with Rhode Island Red Hens

Brandon Philyaw

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 27, 2012
Johnston County
Hi,
I am breeding my Americana Rooster with some Rhode Island Red Hens, I took some fertile eggs from one of the hens that is broody and put them in an incubator. They are all alive and you can see the chick moving around. Has anyone tried to do this before? If so, please post a reply! Thanks!

Brandon

I have hatched out eggs from my Easter egger rooster and red star hen. The chicks were really quite good looking. The females feathered out kinda a dull color, but the males were colorful. They were healthy robust chicks,

People do it all the time, the result are the same as the father/rooster. They're Easter Eggers (Ameraucana has no I, if an I is used the bird is very likely already a mutt/Easter Egger) by name, will lay green or possibly brown eggs, and will have brown/orangey coloration with bits of black. But it really depends, as Easter Eggers vary in color. What color is your EE rooster?

ps - When crossing two breeds or a mutt and a purebred, you get a mutt, there's no name for the "breed," it's a mutt. However when crossing a blue or green layer with something else people often call it an Easter Egger.

Good one about the "I'. I have always considered my mutt status as a plus.(-: I too am raisin' "mutts" as EEggers, and would like to see some of your chicks...We are just getting our first batch as nubes, but my family is finding them entertaining even if there is a costly learning curve...Dan Screaming Eagle

Back
Top Bottom