Breeding CRESTED DUCKS

Good info @eggsnatcher !
I want to introduce the Crested to my flock and am curious if anyone has real, personal info instead of parroting and repeating the same stuff over and over and judging others who are willing to experiment.
I have four Crested ducklings and am hoping for mainly drakes, since they determine color as well. I have Cayugas and Buffs to try for some blue, lilac and apricot. But if I get ducks, it’s a breed that’s known to be dual purpose and for that reason has been around for a very long time.
If the breeding odds were that abysmal, hatcheries would lose money and not do it. I lose babies with every hatch at different points and do eggtopsies and continue to learn and improve, instead of chewing my fingernails about omg what went wrong I should give up.
I’m not interested in judgy comments so refrain if that’s what anyone wants to comment. If you’ve ever had a doodle dog, Shar Pei, Eng bulldog, Chihuahua, pug, hairless cat, Scottish fold, Polish chicken, Silkie chicken, a white/blue merle whatever…those are all mutations that have been selectively bred FOR.

Good info @eggsnatcher !
I want to introduce the Crested to my flock and am curious if anyone has real, personal info instead of parroting and repeating the same stuff over and over and judging others who are willing to experiment.
I have four Crested ducklings and am hoping for mainly drakes, since they determine color as well. I have Cayugas and Buffs to try for some blue, lilac and apricot. But if I get ducks, it’s a breed that’s known to be dual purpose and for that reason has been around for a very long time.
If the breeding odds were that abysmal, hatcheries would lose money and not do it. I lose babies with every hatch at different points and do eggtopsies and continue to learn and improve, instead of chewing my fingernails about omg what went wrong I should give up.
I’m not interested in judgy comments so refrain if that’s what anyone wants to comment. If you’ve ever had a doodle dog, Shar Pei, Eng bulldog, Chihuahua, pug, hairless cat, Scottish fold, Polish chicken, Silkie chicken, a white/blue merle whatever…those are all mutations that have been selectively bred FOR.
Exactly my thoughts and yes it's a lot of people thinking don't do it. But they are around and that's because it does work. And your also right ducks do pass in pretty much every clutch we do, so why is it so bad over the crested?

I have already posted this but I think I posted it at the wrong spot. I have some crescent ducks. Two females and a male the females and male are not really hanging out which I'm okay with from what I've read. And I know about the lethal Gene where I'm confused is if it's just one crested parent can they still die in the egg? Or does it need to be both crested parents? THANKS IN ADVANCE
Intentionally breeding an animal to have a defect, which involves a hole in the skull which leaves part of the brain unprotected, and *always* risks neurological issues, will always be cruel in my eyes.
Always.
Whether that's two crested parents (blatantly unhealthy) or one crested parent.

It's not necessarily, it's harmful and for a "look" that appeals.
Humanity is selfish when breeding animals becomes this.
I said what I said.

I really urge you to consider the welfare of these babies you're planning to breed, and perhaps find a different breed. There's tons of healthier breeds that are beautiful in other ways.

Intentionally breeding an animal to have a defect, which involves a hole in the skull which leaves part of the brain unprotected, and *always* risks neurological issues, will always be cruel in my eyes.
Always.

I said what I said.

I really urge you to consider the welfare of these babies you're planning to breed, and perhaps find a different breed. There's tons of healthier breeds that are beautiful in other ways.
You know when I found this website I really thought this was like a mature grown up place where people didn't put people down or try to make them feel bad but boy was I wrong but I'm not going to feel bad because you're talking to me like I'm the only person doing this and my ducks are free range and I can't control what they're doing. The one thing I do see though is it's not crescent on crescent. And I don't really care what you have to say those are your beliefs and thoughts they're not mine and I don't think there's anything wrong with doing this if you feel this way so strongly you should start protest against all Farmers that do this

You know when I found this website I really thought this was like a mature grown up place where people didn't put people down or try to make them feel bad but boy was I wrong but I'm not going to feel bad because you're talking to me like I'm the only person doing this and my ducks are free range and I can't control what they're doing. The one thing I do see though is it's not crescent on crescent. And I don't really care what you have to say those are your beliefs and thoughts they're not mine and I don't think there's anything wrong with doing this if you feel this way so strongly you should start protest against all Farmers that do this
Maturity is thinking outside of one point of view and being open to learn.
And nothing I said was to "put people down".
And yes, I do protest against all people who do this. I'm not against breeding animals or breeding for certain traits, but if that certain trait is a literal defect that can cause lifelong problems, I am against that.

The important thing to remember is that this is a public forum, and there are going to be different points of view, especially on our animals welfare.
I stated my view and your reply is "I don't care" instead of a counter argument. That's fine, we don't need to get into it, I can see you won't change your view and I certainly will not, I stand by what I said.

Though as far as what you said: "I can't control what my ducks do"
I will just remind you that you started this thread about controlling and aiming to breed them, and you don't have to allow any offspring from those ducks in particular.

But I'm happy to agree to disagree in terms of your "argument" pro it.

And yes, I do protest against all people who do this. I'm not against breeding animals or breeding for certain traits, but if that certain trait is a literal defect that can cause lifelong problems, I am against that.

The important thing to remember is that this is a public forum, and there are going to be different points of view, especially on our animals welfare.
I stated my view and your reply is "I don't care" instead of a counter argument. That's fine, we don't need to get into it, I can see you won't change your view and I certainly will not, I stand by what I said.

I will just remind you that you started this thread about controlling and aiming to breed them, and you don't have to allow any offspring from those ducks in particular.

Actually no that is not why I made this thread. I made this thread to find out the odds. My parents own the ducks. Why I'm even explaining myself to a COMPLETE STRANGER who clearly reads something and decides what I'm doing and asking and WHY I'm asking. I didn't ask anything's about controlling them. I was asking
Always.

I said what I said.

Ya no I will be doing what I'm doing. You guys go on like I'm A big farm. I'm a person living with my parents WHO OWN the ducks. If my dad wants to see what happens then he can and I will help him. I can clearly see I won't be staying on this site for verypng. I have people putting words in my mouth telling me what I'm doing when they don't have a clue.
I was simply just seeing how the odds are and what they are. Got 2 people give me GREAT ANSWERS and I'm not sure How many people putting this down and me and TELLING me what MY.PLANS are like you ACTUALLY KNOW ME. LMAO. GOOD THING I'VE GOT strong shoulders and a great senator.

Actually no that is not why I made this thread. I made this thread to find out the odds. My parents own the ducks. Why I'm even explaining myself to a COMPLETE STRANGER who clearly reads something and decides what I'm doing and asking and WHY I'm asking. I didn't ask anything's about controlling them. I was asking

Ya no I will be doing what I'm doing. You guys go on like I'm A big farm. I'm a person living with my parents WHO OWN the ducks. If my dad wants to see what happens then he can and I will help him. I can clearly see I won't be staying on this site for verypng. I have people putting words in my mouth telling me what I'm doing when they don't have a clue.
I was simply just seeing how the odds are and what they are. Got 2 people give me GREAT ANSWERS and I'm not sure How many people putting this down and me and TELLING me what MY.PLANS are like you ACTUALLY KNOW ME. LMAO. GOOD THING I'VE GOT strong shoulders and a great senator.
....okay?

Last edited:

I have already posted this but I think I posted it at the wrong spot. I have some crescent ducks. Two females and a male the females and male are not really hanging out which I'm okay with from what I've read. And

Yes I did ask about the odds. So I'm curious how do you think I should do. Go to my parents and just start killing the crested ducks?? You know a vet that fixes th so they can't make babie If you really read EVERYTHING you would know the ducks are Free Range, the ducks are pets not a way of making money. They are HAPPY as Pigs in Sh!t here.even have wild ones that have stayed over the years. Wings are NOT clipped they can LEAVE ANYTIME but they don't.
I will remember this is a forum and that I can debate back and let all you haters know what I really think
And HONESTLY if you really want to make a difference get off this site and REALLY TRY something. Sorry not sorry your coming off as a BORED person with nothing better to do with your time, so your on here thinking you can actually change someone's mind like your words actually matter to a complete stranger. If I was you and REALLY WANTED to make a change I would start with finding a farmer that actually believes the same beliefs as you and then go to like I don't know your local mayors place start writing to your government start doing that and see if you can make a difference. The more I think about this you just come off as a joke like I said like you really think a complete stranger is going to listen to you like your words mean anything like buddy also said everybody's on here going on and on like they actually know from experience going on and on like crescent ducks are the only ducks that can pass away through the hatching process. With your state of thinking you are better off trying to end all breeding of all ducks.
I'm not answering you anymore if I can I will find a way to block and delete you from my forums I actually do have things that I need to do and farming that I actually do and you know when you actually do those things you don't have time to get on social media and argue with a complete stranger that is already told you they're not going to change their mind

....okay?
Maybe so but I just don't need the negativity if they really read the thread they would have known right from the start I know about the lethal Gene, my male and female crescents aren't even bothering with each other so we have one crescent duck breeding with a bunch of non crescent ducks. And I can also admit every time I'm on social media people like to come down on me and this and that and I will stick up for myself and I Will stand my ground.

Maybe so but I just don't need the negativity if they really read the thread they would have known right from the start I know about the lethal Gene, my male and female crescents aren't even bothering with each other so we have one crescent duck breeding with a bunch of non crescent ducks. And I can also admit every time I'm on social media people like to come down on me and this and that and I will stick up for myself and I Will stand my ground.
This is not about the lethal gene or hatching rate, its about all issues associated with crested ducks.
This is a massively debated topic and you have to be learn to be okay with different opinions.
No one attacked you.

Back
Top Bottom