Breeding peafowl

Pics

peafowl_Lover

Songster
Aug 22, 2023
Ireland
Hi all I used to have 3 peafowl but I sadly lost 2 to a predator I have one 13 month old peahen. I'm thinking of buying a peacock for her in December/January, would they breed next year because I want to have peachicks. The peahen lives with my hens, she will be 2 next August, will she lay eggs next year?

Yes, how rare is it for them to produce white chicks? My peahens mother and brother had white wing feathers and one of her hatchmates was pied.
Just because the mother and sibling have white flights and one sibling is pied does not mean with any certainty what your hen is. I surmise that the mother is split Pied but the other half of the equation lies with daddy. It is also a possibility that momma was split White and the Pied gene came from Daddy. Knowing the genetic makeup of the parents would make for a better guess but the only sure way is to breed your hen to a White cock.

OK the daddy was Indian blue he had no white wing feathers.
If he made a Pied baby he had to contribute either a White or Pied gene and momma the opposite. Since he does not show any white visually he is most likely a Dark Pied meaning he carries two Pied genes. He gave one Pied gene and momma gave one White gene. All chicks will be 50/50, half will be Pied and the other half will be split to Pied.

Back
Top Bottom