breeding plan?

v.cyr

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Greene, NY
just curious whether this sounds like a good plan... I just hathched 10 buff orp/ barred rock crosses, an I just bought a austrolrp roo and a black giant pullet... my plan was to breed the aussie to the hens from our crosses and to keep one roo from the crosses to breed to the giant... and then breed the offspring from those two matings together... and hopefully end up with really big birds that lay like crazy.... is this a good breeding plan? I really don't know this stuff... just kinda winging it

In my college animal science class we discussed crosses in all animals, and my professor said that you get the best hybrid vigor from a three way cross, after that you end up with what he called a terminal cross where there is too much variety in the next generation, so you will get all shapes and sizes, colors, ect . So in my opinon your best bet would be to breed some of your orp x rocks hens to the aussie, and keep a orp x rock cockrel to breed to your giant. I have not started breeding of my own flock yet, but this is what I learned in class. Hope this helps!

v.cyr, Just looking at some of the old post that I posted on, and I found this one.
Just curious have you tried these crossees yet? If so, What were your results. Might would want to do it myself if they are good chickens.

Back
Top Bottom