breeding whistling ducks

Medusa M

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 11, 2012
Australia - WA-(perth)
i have one breeding pair of wandering (water) whistling ducks and one pair of plumed (grass) whistling ducks and was hoping to get some ducklings ...

will/can the plumed and wandering whistlers cross breed as their in a penn together ? alaso are they hard to breed or will they breed if you just let them do their own thing
big_smile.png

if you could help me out, that would be great
thumbsup.gif

also pictures would be awesome as i have rarely seen ducklings of these breeds before and there dosent seem to be that many of them on the internet either
thumbsup.gif

thanks...

Dear Medusa,
Yes, the whistling duck species are closely related and prone to hybridization. That said, established pairs are much like paired geese and aren't likely to breed other birds. The real problem lies with single birds or birds raised in mixed groups with other whistling duck species.

Whistling ducks in general are not known to be challenging birds to breed but like all other species, conditions must be to their liking. What are your enclosures like (size, vegetation, pool, etc.)? What species are in with them? How old are the birds? Have you set out nest boxes?

To ensure your best chance at getting your ducks to breed, talk to the person you bought them from and replicate the conditions in which the last generation bred.

Good luck,
Danny

Back
Top Bottom