Update! Here are 5 week old pictures!

- Miss Orange is exactly following the development of her Speckled Sussex father (white chest and all)! Makes me wonder if she is not a mix, and instead was the egg of Spex, our only Speckled Sussex hen. (Spex’s and Alani’s eggs could be confused.)
- Miss Gray is starting to show some orange on her chest, as shown in the photo.
- Miss Brown is the darkest of the chicks. Surpisingly, she is the offspring of our lightest colored Wyandotte hen, named Splash for her prominent splash color.

Attachments

• 968BE38B-CF69-4D1A-9F8D-FC6714E1328D.jpeg
    968BE38B-CF69-4D1A-9F8D-FC6714E1328D.jpeg
    699.6 KB · Views: 17
  • F57373B0-99BD-4F58-9D66-0D7D9B17FAF8.jpeg
    F57373B0-99BD-4F58-9D66-0D7D9B17FAF8.jpeg
    684 KB · Views: 16
  • 58E6D190-C07A-4674-B796-D715BFEA746C.jpeg
    58E6D190-C07A-4674-B796-D715BFEA746C.jpeg
    671.4 KB · Views: 17
Update! Here are 5 week old pictures!

- Miss Orange is exactly following the development of her Speckled Sussex father (white chest and all)! Makes me wonder if she is not a mix, and instead was the egg of Spex, our only Speckled Sussex hen. (Spex’s and Alani’s eggs could be confused.)
- Miss Gray is starting to show some orange on her chest, as shown in the photo.
- Miss Brown is the darkest of the chicks. Surpisingly, she is the offspring of our lightest colored Wyandotte hen, named Splash for her prominent splash color.
I would say photo one is a cockerel. Other two pullets ❤️

I wanted to give an update now and post photos another time:

10 WEEKS OLD

Chicks have integrated into the flock and are now showing signs of standing up for themselves among the adults.

Here is what I did for integrating them.
6 weeks old: moved them into fenced cube inside chicken run with their own food and water, but they spent the night inside
7 weeks old: they stayed days and nights outside in the run/coop with the flock, but with their own food and water station that big chickens couldn't access. I caged the more aggressive bullies in the fenced cube, like a "timeout".
8 weeks: I moved the fenced cube to the middle of the run, so they couldn't hide behind it anymore for protection. Slowly took away the protection of their own food and water and encouraged integration with the adults' food and water.
9 weeks: Took away the little chicks food and water and made sure they were getting food and water every few hours.
10 weeks: they are starting to fend for themselves and fighting for even getting in on the boiled egg snacks.

Will post pictures soon - hopefully a snapshot of mama hen with her baby hen.

I have also noticed, interestingly, that the biological mama hen were of the most aggressive hens toward the chicks. Daddy roo (Tucker) has gone back and forth between protecting them and pecking at them.

Back
Top Bottom