Breeding

Countrygirl92

Songster
8 Years
Jun 27, 2014
I have 2 chocolate paint and one mauve silkie what color variations could I get? Chocolate mauve and mauve?

I have 2 chocolate paint and one mauve silkie what color variations could I get? Chocolate mauve and mauve?

I had to look up the genetics for those colors, but I think I have it right now.
Mauve is genetically chocolate and blue.
Paint has one copy of the Dominant White gene.

Chocolate paint x Chocolate paint should give:
1/4 of chicks all white (2 copies of the Dominant White gene)
1/2 of chicks chocolate paint
1/4 of chicks chocolate all over (no white, not paint)

Chocolate paint x mauve should give:
25% chocolate paint
25% mauve paint
25% chocolate (not paint)
25% mauve (not paint)

I don't think it matters which parent is which color, and there should not be any sexlinked chicks. (Chocolate is on the Z sex chromosome, but that does not affect the breeding results because all birds of both genders are pure for the chocolate gene.)

I had to look up the genetics for those colors, but I think I have it right now.
Mauve is genetically chocolate and blue.
Paint has one copy of the Dominant White gene.

Chocolate paint x Chocolate paint should give:
1/4 of chicks all white (2 copies of the Dominant White gene)
1/2 of chicks chocolate paint
1/4 of chicks chocolate all over (no white, not paint)

Chocolate paint x mauve should give:
25% chocolate paint
25% mauve paint
25% chocolate (not paint)
25% mauve (not paint)

I don't think it matters which parent is which color, and there should not be any sexlinked chicks. (Chocolate is on the Z sex chromosome, but that does not affect the breeding results because all birds of both genders are pure for the chocolate gene.)
Thank you so much I’m new to them and I love them! You probably can’t breed them to other colors right?

You probably can’t breed them to other colors right?
It would depend on what you mean by "can't."
They would be physically able to breed with other colors, and should produce healthy chicks, although certain crosses would produce chicks that are not standard colors.

I have not personally bred them, but I would expect good results crossing them with black, blues, chocolates, and paints that have any of those colors.

I'm fairly sure that blue, chocolate, mauve, and paint are all based on black.
So intermixing them is just re-arranging a few genes.

Black is black (obviously).
Black with one copy of blue is blue.
Black with two copies of blue is splash.
Black with chocolate is chocolate. (2 copies of chocolate in males, 1 copy in females.)
Black with blue and chocolate is mauve.
Black with splash and chocolate, I have no idea what to call it, but it is probably very pale in color.

Black with one copy of Dominant White is Paint.
Chocolate with one copy of Dominant White is Chocolate Paint.
Blue with one copy of Dominant White is Blue Paint.
(etc., to have Paint versions of everything in the above list.)

@nicalandia have I got this right?
I'm not used to thinking about blue + chocolate or about paint, so I want to be sure I've got the interactions right.

It would depend on what you mean by "can't."
They would be physically able to breed with other colors, and should produce healthy chicks, although certain crosses would produce chicks that are not standard colors.

I have not personally bred them, but I would expect good results crossing them with black, blues, chocolates, and paints that have any of those colors.

I'm fairly sure that blue, chocolate, mauve, and paint are all based on black.
So intermixing them is just re-arranging a few genes.

Black is black (obviously).
Black with one copy of blue is blue.
Black with two copies of blue is splash.
Black with chocolate is chocolate. (2 copies of chocolate in males, 1 copy in females.)
Black with blue and chocolate is mauve.
Black with splash and chocolate, I have no idea what to call it, but it is probably very pale in color.

Black with one copy of Dominant White is Paint.
Chocolate with one copy of Dominant White is Chocolate Paint.
Blue with one copy of Dominant White is Blue Paint.
(etc., to have Paint versions of everything in the above list.)

@nicalandia have I got this right?
I'm not used to thinking about blue + chocolate or about paint, so I want to be sure I've got the interactions right.

That's about right..!

Back
Top Bottom