Breeds of New Chicks (Age is approximately 2 weeks)

Mildred looks like a Blue Copper Marans in the first photo...and suspiciously pink and larger in comb...you may have a roo there...2nd photo has some pattern that could be something else breedwise but its hard to tell in the awkward just out of down not fully juvenile feathered.. the red on the wings would indicate roo too if that settles in.

The rest look to be pullets at this point...can't confirm or deny breeds yet as again the juvenile feathering is the awkward phase, but their down colors were pretty indicative.

And 3 weeks of age seems to be reasonable.

LofMc

Thank you so much. I will wait a couple more weeks and then post some more pics. I really hope they're all pullets (as everyone usually does), so maybe I'll get lucky and Mildred's comb won't keep getting bigger and redder. Could she be aJersey Giant?

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I will wait a couple more weeks and then post some more pics. I really hope they're all pullets (as everyone usually does), so maybe I'll get lucky and Bertha's comb won't keep getting bigger and redder. Could she be aJersey Giant?

Jersey Giants should be black, white or blue as the accepted colors...and should be solid with no red at hackles...and it should have black/grey/to at most willow (white JG) legs with yellow foot pads.

I would not classify Mildred/Milton as a JG...not with what appears to be copper coming in at the hackles...I still think best guess is Blue Copper Marans...but time will tell...there may be more in the patterning to show up.

Comb is alerting but not confirmed as to roo...watch and wait.

LofMc

Last edited:
I would also like to see a follow up photo of your chick that first appeared to be a Welsummer...it has a lot of white spotting coming on that does not fit for the Welsummer, nor a Speckled Sussex...although that would be a possibility...its not really fitting either breed right now.

I can't tell if that is because it is something else or it has a lot of white fluffing as it molts.

It looks to be a pullet at this point, but I would not assume Welsummer at this point...another photo would be in order.

The Black Copper Marans still looks right as does the EE for the other two.

LofMc

I'd put money on Edna being a roo. The red patches coming in on his shoulders are typical of my EE roos.

I am NOT an expert at all but from the last year learning about chickens, raising my own, and searching and looking at pictures of different breeds on here & google, I have some questions.

When you say marans, I might disagree. Marans have single combs and she said these chicks have pea combs so I don't think any are pure marans at all. I think maybe mixed with easter egger? That mix might give you some pretty olive eggs if she is indeed a pullet.

I'd bet that Mildred is Milton with that large of a comb.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions quite yet on Edna being a roo, but I see what you mean with the red coming in on the shoulders. My easter egger is mostly red and she's a pullet. I may be misunderstanding the red thing though as I've seen a lot of EEs that look just like mine.

The red on Edna doesn't look any darker than the orangish (red?) color on my easter egger so I wouldn't be for sure on cockerel yet.
smile.png

Please experts let me know what you think on my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom