Breeds of New Chicks (Age is approximately 2 weeks)

SophiaW00, I was actually wrong about them having pea combs. Mildred has a single comb, and the only one to have a pea comb is possibly Edna.The thing is, Mildred's comb looks about the same as that thread from 2012 that I posted a link to - it is large compared to my other chicks, but it is not red - and none of them are the same breed, let alone the same parents. So I'm hoping that she just has a large comb, but is still a pullet.

This is the post I saw - a "mossy" pullet with a visible comb at 4 weeks.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/667325/french-black-copper-maran-4-5-weeks-old-still-a-girl

I think Edna is a she, and still leaning towards Mildred being a Milton even though his comb isn't red. My salmon faverolle's comb was large like that but not red until about 6 weeks. I'd keep him for a couple more weeks and see.

Could Mildred be a black sex link? She has copper feathrs coming in on her chest...
Mildred looks to me like a mixed breed, but I'm thinking more likely a Marans mixed breed than a Black Sex Link. If Mildred was a Black Sex Link, it would have to be female given its color, but the size of the comb at that age has me concerned that Mildred is a cockerel. I would suggest posting Mildred's pic again in about 3 weeks. By then the gender should be much more obvious.

Here's my take on things....

Your FBCM looks to be a fine pullet.

Edna is an EE...no that is not red coming in on the wings...she looks to have more of the salmon/copper patterning of the common female pattern...but we need more time as the baby feathers fall out and her real pattern fills in.

Gertrude, pretty sure, is possibly Japanese Bantam or mix thereof..the long wings and high tail carriage mark her. She is not a Welsummer. She looks too big to be a Serama, which is another possibility...again long wing tips and "squirrel" tail carriage.

Mildred...I pondered Black Sex Link with the orange chest coming in...but her body shape is wrong...too heavy, head too thick. I still think she is a Marans or Marans mix, possibly Blue Copper Marans. Marans girls can have substantial yellow comb...watch and wait...Mildred may be a Milton. Time will tell. Marans boys typically telecast and fill in early. You will know more by 5 to 6 weeks of age.

My thoughts.

LofMc

So Bertha the FBCM died of complications from the pox. Milton the suspected roo has been re-homed. And I just bought two new sexed pullet. Gertrude and Edna are getting the pox vaccine and are not showing any signs of illness or pox, so wish me luck! Will keep the new little ones separate...anyone know how long I need to do that? Weeks? Or months?

Back
Top Bottom