Bresse Chickens

Quote:
I like them well done.

yuckyuck.gif

After a couple of days of tropical storm weather it turned clear and sunny today. Snapped a few pics of the American Bresse this afternoon. They continue to fill out, and the hens just started laying. Pretty impressive meaty chest developing on the rooster. They seem vigorous, calm, and generally happy to be alive. You can see how close they approach to the camera without getting stressed or flighty. These shots were taken at 1' to 3' distance.

mostlybresse121.jpg

mostlybresse111.jpg

mostlybresse044.jpg

We had a few white American Bresse chicks hatch out today. (Note the yellow legs at hatching.) Here's one just a few hours old.

WhiteBressechicks018.jpg

Last edited:
So, define "meaty."

How much do they weigh? How's the carcass? (has anyone butchered any yet?) I'm just curious because the whites shown don't look all that full in the breast.
idunno.gif

Quote:
so when do they turn blue?

or is this what makes them american... by which you can "improve" the breed, and help expand it by back crossing to improve type...

america... the melting pot of genetics.

I'm not sure when the legs turn blue. These are the first white Bresse chicks hatched in America, so we'll have to wait and see. No, these birds aren't being crossed with other breeds. We call them "American Bresse" to distinguish them from birds hatched in France.

Congratulations Stoneunhenge on the hatching of the American Bresse chicks. I think that this is one of the most exciting aquisitions by Greenfire. These chicks are going to change the American palate for chicken. No more mushy chicken protein in a styrofoam container. We're going to demand to buy our chickens with legs and head attached to see he true red, white and blue.

Last edited:
Haha personally, I don't want the head still on there. I'd feel like I was buying one of those joke rubber chickens.

Back
Top Bottom