Changed our flock to all 1 variety, for meat AND eggs

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
I feel like I've been through the gauntlet of poultry raising now, 25ish years into it. We've had most varieties at this point. I used to think it would be "quaint" to have a different variety in each of our pens, like a collection. Then I went down the rabbit hole of breeding and learning about what that all entails. There's a lot to the breeding side of things.

Over the summer I sold off the remainder of our birds that were not the "chosen" variety. It was a relief really, to find focus and simplify the flock to a single variety. We're now solidly dual purpose with the American Bresse. They're everything I like in a chicken and they provide a reason for me to hatch to my little hearts content. I'm learning still about their expressed traits, hidden recessive traits within the variety, the differences between the imported lines, the variables in the genetics... even after having them 7 years now.

I've gotten a lot more "scientific" in how I'm running the flock. Using wing bands for ID, utilizing pair hatching, learning about test mating for certain traits, relying on compensation mating for flock improvements... It's really been a fun little learning adventure!

The flock now has gotten to where even the worse cull birds still fill out a shrink bag. I'm getting close to overall flock consistency. There's a couple of mentors I've been working with who have been incredibly helpful and inspiring.

These culls below, selected out for light leg color, wonky combs, red earlobes, poor stance, feather quality... all things you can't see once they're in a shrink bag. This batch was also the under performers for growth rate, dressing out from 3.5-4lbs at 17 weeks. This had been a batch of 10 and 4 of them had an incredible fat layer, without special finishing.

bresse101722.jpg

This is a 22 week old pullet from this season, she got a pass to stay longer. I'm working at deeper chests in them, which has been slow going. She's filling in well and had started laying at 19 weeks. She's at 6lbs. While that doesn't sound like much, her weight is more meat than bone.

bre22wk1.jpg

The tricky thing is maintaining the balance. They're not supposed to be a BIG bird. They're not supposed to get heavy/thick bones to support a lot of weight. They're not supposed to be that tall, since added height lengthens the grow time. There's also the laying to consider, so that you don't lose their laying ability while chasing for more growth rate.

Recently their demand has gone up and it makes me want to hide. I'm not a hatchery and we don't sell eggs/chicks. On other platforms I took up an educational role, that's more important now than it ever was. We all know that with popularity comes knock-offs, mass production, reduction in overall quality, inconsistent results across the variety as a whole. It can be very frustrating in figuring out getting started with a breed that has a fad going.

I got into the Bresse after their first fad fizzled and before the 2nd fad started. The homesteaders have really jumped on board with them. But already the complaints are coming, from color leakage to poor growth. Also the same old flaws that hadn't been totally bred out in the first go around, such as slip/split wing, knock knees, crooked keels, pinched tails, narrow bodies, poor fleshing and whatever else.

That's not to say that good birds can't be found. There's several now working on improving their lines and who have been at it for several years now. Some who even started back in the "first wave" and who have really accomplished a lot in their program.

We got lucky in our first start and while I did still have to do some breeding work, they weren't too far off the map. Nothing that a little selection couldn't fix, with a lot of culling to the freezer.

If this is a variety that you're considering, be patient and thoughtful in acquiring them and do anticipate some on going breeding effort on your part. An effective culling program will fill the freezer right on up and your flock will become better for it in the subsequent generations.

Personally, I'm always going to have these birds, for as long as I have chickens.

118004017_3504724392893141_2031706737962891562_o.jpg

How's it going now? Are you still happy with the way your birds are growing out? There's a lot of interest in one breed for meat and eggs, and I'm wondering how well yours lay, and how they're doing on meat. I've been considering the Breese for some time, but wonder what I should be looking for when picking a breeder flock to get started with.

How's it going now? Are you still happy with the way your birds are growing out? There's a lot of interest in one breed for meat and eggs, and I'm wondering how well yours lay, and how they're doing on meat. I've been considering the Breese for some time, but wonder what I should be looking for when picking a breeder flock to get started with.

Still going strong! We're seeing good fleshing throughout growth with dress weights typically in the 4lb-5lb for 16-18 week old cockerels. The pullets start laying in the 18-22 week range, I haven't pushed them for faster after seeing that their growth drops off with the first eggs. So the earliest layers tend to be the smallest females. I like to see them hit 5lbs before laying. By the time they're over a year old, they'll top out at 6.5lb-7lb. I've seen eggs at 16 weeks, but those pullets who did that were only at the 4lb mark and didn't make anymore significant gains. I do look for 5-6 eggs a week in order to consider them as strong layers.

If we come across a pullet or hen that hasn't had a good laying cycle, she gets paired with dumplings. There is a sweetness to the female meat that the boys just don't get. Also more fat that's richer in flavor.

I've come up with the cycle that works for our set-up, flock goals and dinner. I start hatching in January, usually who's laying then is the girls from the prior Spring, while the older ones are on break. I aim for 50/month to hatch, which has a typical 50/50 gender ratio. First processing day is in May and that then occurs monthly as the offspring come to that 16-18 week old mark. I look for 1-5 males to hold back from the 25 grown.

In the breeding selection, growth rate/weight first, combined with how they feel for fleshing. Next is their shape/structure. Followed by their "extremities" of initial wing/leg/tail/comb correctness for their age. Health and vigor needs to be up on the list as well, so only those who are strong and never had an off day get considered for breeding in the future. As we hatch/grow/select/process, I start building the collection of potential "keeper" birds and taking a look at the adults to see who can go to make space.

Typically, 50% go into the freezer, 40% get sold on to new flocks and 10% stay for the following season. I aim for a total of 350-400 birds grown a season, last hatch usually in July and final processing in October. Then I get a break! It feels a little bit like a marathon.

When the grow outs are older, from what we retained as the most promising, that's when I start comparing them closer to each either and them against the SOP. After the 6 month old point. I start pondering which traits are their best, what traits are lacking or could be improved, thinking on which bird of the opposite gender best compliments them to see over all improvement the following season from their offspring.

I could describe my breeding style as a loose spiral system out of a larger clan method, that's been split into pens by expressed traits rather than pedigree. Some of the breed traits have proven to be elusive in gaining consistent expression, such as white earlobes, DARK blue legs and fuller/thicker tails. I'm working on chest depth this season, after getting the length/width/fleshing/growth into their structure consistently. I'm thinking about doing some pair hatching this season, in an effort to get a decent pool of birds with those more elusive traits.

At the 2 week point I start weighing chicks, by 4-5 weeks I can sort for gender and I try to weigh bi-weekly until 12 weeks. If there's obvious male culls at 12 weeks, that's when I start a special finishing, for 4 weeks. Lately I've been using a finishing recipe of 1/3rd 20% feed (their usual feed), 1/3rd Cracked Corn and 1/3rd Wheat Berries.

The bird on the left got the special finishing and the other didn't. You can see the fat development under the skin, where it's more yellow in the chest and along the keel. They both cooked up well but the finished one was a LOT juicer. These were 18 weeks.

18wkspfinL.jpg

This boy was one of the favorites from last season, he stayed "at the top of the class" from hatch onward. His comb is annoying, but we don't eat combs. I have heard that they're edible though. LOL

328990138_571026384679472_1818890303722587119_n.jpg

This is a younger one who's hanging out as a spare. I never cull down to bare bones and try to keep 3 boys "in waiting". He's 24 weeks currently from a last Fall hatch last year. 8lbs 4oz at last weigh-in. He didn't get white on his earlobes and his tail is thin (might grow in more in time, might not)

24wkbrecoc1.jpg

I find myself relying on the females for better bodies/type/growth, so I've gotten pretty picky on them in looking for overall balance. They've helped to reduce come size on the males as well. I used to have a way bigger problem with oversized combs. This one was at 18 weeks old for this picture, just over 5lbs.

brepul18wk6 - Copy.jpg

With all of the varieties we tried and what we see from the Bresse, the main thing to select for in breeding is the underbody width, fleshing and growth rate. It's relatively easy to find birds that reach 8lbs+ BUT, they might not do it until after 1 year old and the pullets may take 8-9 months before they lay any eggs. Most dual purpose types seem to have the growth rate of a Turkey, growing skeleton first and meat later, not staying fleshy for the duration of growth. The longer they take to grow, the worse the feed conversion is.

If you look at this picture of skinless Bresse, you can see the impact of the width, or the lack of width for the bird on the left, in the carcass result.

bressed - Copy.jpg

A local friend of mine tried our Bresse alongside some Bielefelder eggs she got off of Ebay. Not the best source for hatching eggs but they looked the part. I went to help her sort through them and there was only 1 Bielefelder cockerel worth retaining for breeding, the rest felt like the bird on the right, at 18 weeks old for both breeds.

lyns1.jpg

That picture above has been pretty typical for the comparisons between Bresse and other varieties. Finding a bloodline that has actually been cultivated for table traits, without losing rate of lay... is very elusive. The hatcheries aren't producing them consistently.

Over the years, I've picked up the impression that you need to work at it yourself, to learn how to sort/breed for better results, since so few producers/propagators/sellers are doing it. The biggest Bresse hatchery in Mississippi is shipping out birds with so many variations that it's like buying lottery tickets in chick form. Some will grow good/alright, others will be lean and small. Some other producers are doing pretty well with their flock, like Northstar Farms in NC. Greenfire Farms were the original importer, though you can still get birds from there with yellowing, pale legs and whatever else.

But I still prefer this over relying on hatchery hybrids. I get to scratch the hatching itch, produce a consistent flock for meat and eggs with a good cockerel management plan, while working them into being better than they were the season before. I've learned more about chickens in the past 7 years, than I had in my first 20 years of keeping poultry.

Still going strong! We're seeing good fleshing throughout growth with dress weights typically in the 4lb-5lb for 16-18 week old cockerels. The pullets start laying in the 18-22 week range, I haven't pushed them for faster after seeing that their growth drops off with the first eggs. So the earliest layers tend to be the smallest females. I like to see them hit 5lbs before laying. By the time they're over a year old, they'll top out at 6.5lb-7lb. I've seen eggs at 16 weeks, but those pullets who did that were only at the 4lb mark and didn't make anymore significant gains. I do look for 5-6 eggs a week in order to consider them as strong layers.

If we come across a pullet or hen that hasn't had a good laying cycle, she gets paired with dumplings. There is a sweetness to the female meat that the boys just don't get. Also more fat that's richer in flavor.

I've come up with the cycle that works for our set-up, flock goals and dinner. I start hatching in January, usually who's laying then is the girls from the prior Spring, while the older ones are on break. I aim for 50/month to hatch, which has a typical 50/50 gender ratio. First processing day is in May and that then occurs monthly as the offspring come to that 16-18 week old mark. I look for 1-5 males to hold back from the 25 grown.

In the breeding selection, growth rate/weight first, combined with how they feel for fleshing. Next is their shape/structure. Followed by their "extremities" of initial wing/leg/tail/comb correctness for their age. Health and vigor needs to be up on the list as well, so only those who are strong and never had an off day get considered for breeding in the future. As we hatch/grow/select/process, I start building the collection of potential "keeper" birds and taking a look at the adults to see who can go to make space.

Typically, 50% go into the freezer, 40% get sold on to new flocks and 10% stay for the following season. I aim for a total of 350-400 birds grown a season, last hatch usually in July and final processing in October. Then I get a break! It feels a little bit like a marathon.

When the grow outs are older, from what we retained as the most promising, that's when I start comparing them closer to each either and them against the SOP. After the 6 month old point. I start pondering which traits are their best, what traits are lacking or could be improved, thinking on which bird of the opposite gender best compliments them to see over all improvement the following season from their offspring.

I could describe my breeding style as a loose spiral system out of a larger clan method, that's been split into pens by expressed traits rather than pedigree. Some of the breed traits have proven to be elusive in gaining consistent expression, such as white earlobes, DARK blue legs and fuller/thicker tails. I'm working on chest depth this season, after getting the length/width/fleshing/growth into their structure consistently. I'm thinking about doing some pair hatching this season, in an effort to get a decent pool of birds with those more elusive traits.

At the 2 week point I start weighing chicks, by 4-5 weeks I can sort for gender and I try to weigh bi-weekly until 12 weeks. If there's obvious male culls at 12 weeks, that's when I start a special finishing, for 4 weeks. Lately I've been using a finishing recipe of 1/3rd 20% feed (their usual feed), 1/3rd Cracked Corn and 1/3rd Wheat Berries.

The bird on the left got the special finishing and the other didn't. You can see the fat development under the skin, where it's more yellow in the chest and along the keel. They both cooked up well but the finished one was a LOT juicer. These were 18 weeks.

View attachment 3459807

This boy was one of the favorites from last season, he stayed "at the top of the class" from hatch onward. His comb is annoying, but we don't eat combs. I have heard that they're edible though. LOL

View attachment 3459808

This is a younger one who's hanging out as a spare. I never cull down to bare bones and try to keep 3 boys "in waiting". He's 24 weeks currently from a last Fall hatch last year. 8lbs 4oz at last weigh-in. He didn't get white on his earlobes and his tail is thin (might grow in more in time, might not)

View attachment 3459809

I find myself relying on the females for better bodies/type/growth, so I've gotten pretty picky on them in looking for overall balance. They've helped to reduce come size on the males as well. I used to have a way bigger problem with oversized combs. This one was at 18 weeks old for this picture, just over 5lbs.

View attachment 3459812

With all of the varieties we tried and what we see from the Bresse, the main thing to select for in breeding is the underbody width, fleshing and growth rate. It's relatively easy to find birds that reach 8lbs+ BUT, they might not do it until after 1 year old and the pullets may take 8-9 months before they lay any eggs. Most dual purpose types seem to have the growth rate of a Turkey, growing skeleton first and meat later, not staying fleshy for the duration of growth. The longer they take to grow, the worse the feed conversion is.

If you look at this picture of skinless Bresse, you can see the impact of the width, or the lack of width for the bird on the left, in the carcass result.

View attachment 3459813

A local friend of mine tried our Bresse alongside some Bielefelder eggs she got off of Ebay. Not the best source for hatching eggs but they looked the part. I went to help her sort through them and there was only 1 Bielefelder cockerel worth retaining for breeding, the rest felt like the bird on the right, at 18 weeks old for both breeds.

View attachment 3459817

That picture above has been pretty typical for the comparisons between Bresse and other varieties. Finding a bloodline that has actually been cultivated for table traits, without losing rate of lay... is very elusive. The hatcheries aren't producing them consistently.

Over the years, I've picked up the impression that you need to work at it yourself, to learn how to sort/breed for better results, since so few producers/propagators/sellers are doing it. The biggest Bresse hatchery in Mississippi is shipping out birds with so many variations that it's like buying lottery tickets in chick form. Some will grow good/alright, others will be lean and small. Some other producers are doing pretty well with their flock, like Northstar Farms in NC. Greenfire Farms were the original importer, though you can still get birds from there with yellowing, pale legs and whatever else.

But I still prefer this over relying on hatchery hybrids. I get to scratch the hatching itch, produce a consistent flock for meat and eggs with a good cockerel management plan, while working them into being better than they were the season before. I've learned more about chickens in the past 7 years, than I had in my first 20 years of keeping poultry.
Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us! This is fascinating, and super helpful!!! Hope things continue to go well with your breeding efforts. Those pictures really show what you are talking about, and you have some very beautiful (tasty looking) birds. Thanks for the update!!!

@mandelyn - I’m working on learning how to best cull my own flock that I use for meat production; how do you judge for underbody width? Is it just by feel and comparing multiple birds to each other? If it is just by feel, can you explain what you are feeling for? Thank you so much, it’s kind of overwhelming trying to figure out how to learn all of this!

@mandelyn - I’m working on learning how to best cull my own flock that I use for meat production; how do you judge for underbody width? Is it just by feel and comparing multiple birds to each other? If it is just by feel, can you explain what you are feeling for? Thank you so much, it’s kind of overwhelming trying to figure out how to learn all of this!
Usually a wide back correspond with a wide underbody
I go by weight at harvest age.

https://bramblewoodhill.com/breeding-chickens-meat-production/

Trying to figure this out for myself too...
Good question!

Back
Top Bottom