Bresse Chickens

Pics
Quote: Ohh my. Please consider a bit more than economics of a large company. You do know why heritage breeds will never be as productive as commerical birds right? Heterosis is the reason that four way crosses were created! Not because of money - Trust me we can breed sex link dwarfism and other terminal genes into the terminal generation to discourage breeding.

You say it's not sustainable... But yet after 50+ years we a have stronger poultry industry than ever. And in fact if you want to take to the next level it is sustainable, because grandparent lines breed true, they, so we can have a consistent supply of grandparent birds, and parent birds. People can try to raise heritage breeds for meat, but in my view that is an unstable model, if anything they use more resources to grow- But I should digress and get this topic back on track

Not to argue against breese but it is still cheaper to buy meatie chicks then pay for the extra weeks of feed on a heritage breed. Not that it makes them sustainable. But I don't think price on chicks is the arguing point.
I completely agree. The cost of a broiler chick will certainly be less than feeding a heritage bird for the extra few weeks it takes to get them to processing size. My point is not the cost of the chick, it is having to rely on the large commercial producers to purchase chicks year after year, and then pay to have them shipped.

To be sustainable, excess dual purpose pullets can be sold to offset the cost of raising the roosters to processing weight.

Ohh my. Please consider a bit more than economics of a large company. You do know why heritage breeds will never be as productive as commerical birds right? Heterosis is the reason that four way crosses were created! Not because of money - Trust me we can breed sex link dwarfism and other terminal genes into the terminal generation to discourage breeding.

You say it's not sustainable... But yet after 50+ years we a have stronger poultry industry than ever. And in fact if you want to take to the next level it is sustainable, because grandparent lines breed true, they, so we can have a consistent supply of grandparent birds, and parent birds. People can try to raise heritage breeds for meat, but in my view that is an unstable model, if anything they use more resources to grow- But I should digress and get this topic back on track
You're right perhaps the term sustainable should not have been used as self-sustaining would be more accurate.

I think it would take a lot of work to keep the current broiler chickens at a healthy weight to make it to breeding age. That's where the Bresse have a good advantage. Mine are growing at a nice rate. I know that they will consume more food than say a Cornish X. But I offset that by enjoying seeing them play in the 3 acres I have fenced off for them. And when they are older, I will keep the best for breeding, and process the rest. I don't need hundreds of broiler chickens in the freezer. I just need enough for my small family and friends. And in the Spring, I will start the process over knowing that I am raising a chicken that not only tastes better than a Cornish X (at least to me), but will continue to be self-sustaining. Sure it will always be cheaper to just get in the old gas-guzzling SUV and head to the grocery store to buy chicken and eggs. But where's the fun in that?

Does anyone have any tips for selecting the best Breese for breeders? I am making the assumption that there is not a standard for American Bresse yet. Are people selecting for traits such as deep blue feet or more meat specific traits such as fast growing?

You're right perhaps the term sustainable should not have been used as self-sustaining would be more accurate.
Indeed. My goal is just that: self-sustaining flock to sustain myself and my family with all our eggs and chicken. During a very significant part of the history of the US, families had a flock of chickens, providing them with egg, and a fresh meat source. Because eggs hatched naturally during the warmer weather via broody hens, the young roosters were killed first, and the older hens were butchered during the winter.....unless young roosters were caponized. They could be kept into and during the winter, and used when desired. The USDA along with the Kansas State University Agriculture Station actually put out literature recommending that families caponize for that purpose, and for a cash crop it they had a market for it because of the premium price.

I raised Cornish X this year, and much prefer the DP birds, some for the freezer and some fresh capons through the winter.

That's a good question that I have been thinking about, too. The main thing that I am planning on breeding towards is body conformation and size. That seems to be the number one breeding priority for most breeds. My current roo is not small but he is not big either. Some of his sons are going to be bigger than he is and I am planning on keeping two of them, one for line breeding and one for back-up. My roo is also not very nice and tries to attack anyone who comes close. So, he gets one more year of breeding with his daughters and then he will probably be headed for freezer camp.

That's a good question that I have been thinking about, too. The main thing that I am planning on breeding towards is body conformation and size. That seems to be the number one breeding priority for most breeds. My current roo is not small but he is not big either. Some of his sons are going to be bigger than he is and I am planning on keeping two of them, one for line breeding and one for back-up. My roo is also not very nice and tries to attack anyone who comes close. So, he gets one more year of breeding with his daughters and then he will probably be headed for freezer camp.
There is a big difference in size between my biggest pullet and smallest pullet. If I get to breed them this year I will breed from the three or four biggest ones.

The Cockerels are at an egg farm in the Country so I do not know how big they are now. I will have to pick the biggest one for breeding.

The friend of mine who owns the farm where my breeders live had hoped to not buy meaties this year but we didn't get our breeding pens built in time. Plus, we only have a trio of adult Bresse so egg numbers were limited. So she ordered 2 groups of 50 Cornish X chicks. Due to the timing of their vacation, she was late processing the first group. Some of them got so big that they just died. She felt so bad for them that she is determined to not order them next year. I recently purchased a new to me cabinet hatcher/incubator and, with the addition of the juvenile Bresse that we are growing out, we should be able to hatch enough birds next year for meat for both families.
I have 4 month old cornish x and they are still kicking-- do these require careful management? Yes. I have held back feed to slow down the growth rate as I would like to save a few for breeding.
fl.gif
THey definitely are not made for a long life. I am hoping to not order any next year either . . .

Quote: How many pullets did you get ROn??

I have 4 month old cornish x and they are still kicking-- do these require careful management? Yes. I have held back feed to slow down the growth rate as I would like to save a few for breeding.
fl.gif
THey definitely are not made for a long life. I am hoping to not order any next year either . . .

How many pullets did you get ROn??

I have 5 pullets and sent three Cockerels to the egg farm. I have 3 big pullets and of course I send the biggest cockerels to the farm.

Back
Top Bottom