Bresse Chickens

Pics
I had one chick that popped out with feathers on his legs. Raised him and ate him as a cull. It is possible I had a rooster jump the fence or there is a weird gene in the gff birds. Either way don't breed that one.

Ive had no feathered legs from your babies!
wink.png

None of the birds I hatched from you Chiqita had feathered legs either. I could not be happier with the birds I hatched from your eggs.

I haven't had any feathered legs hatch from my birds and they came from the same breeder that chiqitas came from (originally from Greenfire, of course). In the last hatch, though, I had 2 cockerels that have the strangest combs. The back of the comb is very thick. Here is a pic of one of them.

I'm really happy with how my Bresse are doing. I have at least 5 pullets laying, and the eggs I am getting are not all the same color. I have at least 3 distinct shades ranging from cream to a medium brown a little darker than my wyandottes eggs. I'm not really surprised, as I doubt egg color was ever really a criteria for selection. Has anyone else seen this variation?

I'm also really surprised with how reliably they are laying in this extreme cold. Better than any of my other breeds.

Mine are still slaying fabulously!! Their egg colors are exact! I cant tell which one laid what...same exact shade:)

Last edited:
I'm really happy with how my Bresse are doing. I have at least 5 pullets laying, and the eggs I am getting are not all the same color. I have at least 3 distinct shades ranging from cream to a medium brown a little darker than my wyandottes eggs. I'm not really surprised, as I doubt egg color was ever really a criteria for selection. Has anyone else seen this variation?

I'm also really surprised with how reliably they are laying in this extreme cold. Better than any of my other breeds.
I have been really happy with my Bresse pullets as well. I only have 5 pullets, but I am getting 4-5eggs every day, even with all of this cold. Our lowest temp has been -13 here in TN. My Bresse roosters didn't fare well in terms of their combs and they were severely frostbitten, but at least that won't affect their breeding.

I have noticed variation in egg color as well, primarily the cream to a lighter brown, though I have had a couple a little darker

Great answers on the egg color!

I have 5 AM Bresse pullets and they mostly lay light cream colored eggs. I do have one that has spcekles on it. Some of them are starting to lay extra large eggs too!

We started off with a trio. One pullet laid light brown eggs and the other pullet laid cream colored eggs. It will be interesting to see what color all of their daughters lay. We have a few of them at POL and all the pullet eggs have been light brown.

Great answers on the egg color!

I have 5 AM Bresse pullets and they mostly lay light cream colored eggs. I do have one that has spcekles on it. Some of them are starting to lay extra large eggs too!
I guess a better description is that mine have darker very fine speckles on the big end. My eggs are getting bigger too, even with the bitter cold we have had.

Back
Top Bottom