Bresse Chickens

While I was waiting for my Bresse pullet to make up her mind, my Ayam Kedu decided to go broody. So I stuck some Bresse eggs under her.
thumbsup.gif
My BO has Marans eggs under her, and I have more Bresse in the incubator. They are due to hatch the day before the Marans, so I will give some to the broody if I can.

My Bresse that started the broody conversation hasn't made up her mind yet. She sat on the next all day, but roosted with the others last night. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on her. I had a turkey hen doing that last week, and last night she decided to commit to sitting on the nest overnight.

I would do anything for a broody girl right now!!! ANY broody girl!!

Agh. I wish I could send you some of mine. I have TEN broodies that just won't give up. I don't have a separate area for broodies with chicks to keep them safe so I don't usually let them have eggs. I lost a few chicks last year to drowning (flew up on the side of the goose pools and fell in). So sad. I did break down and give 2 girls a few eggs. Now I have to figure out what to do with them if they hatch to prevent a reoccurrence. Grr.

Agh. I wish I could send you some of mine. I have TEN broodies that just won't give up. I don't have a separate area for broodies with chicks to keep them safe so I don't usually let them have eggs. I lost a few chicks last year to drowning (flew up on the side of the goose pools and fell in). So sad. I did break down and give 2 girls a few eggs. Now I have to figure out what to do with them if they hatch to prevent a reoccurrence. Grr.

ID be in heaven to have 10 broodies this time of the year!!! My rediculous bator is not functioning properly and the temps are all over..Brinsea wants 240$ PLUS shipping costs to recalibrate it..um I paid 400$ for it it should NOT be malfunctioning so pathetically...then within a few days the rocker motor broke as well..tack on another 75$!!! Why would I pay to fix it when I could buy a brand new set up for that?? Im stuck trying to figure out what to do;( im going to sell the bator as is with the humidty module I got for it and tell people..if ANYONE has experience with recalibrating stuff like this Ill give you a sweet deal!! It could be a 5 minute fix for a handy man with proper tools!!!

Anyhoo sorry for the rant back to our regular scheduled program:)

Just thought I would show a picture of two chicks, one Bresse and one Marans. You can already see the Bresse starting to outgrow the Marans at less than two weeks of age:

I see that you have a couple of different colors of Bresse. I hope you can help me with my question. My sister and I got 4 blue Bresse this week. There are also Isbars so I am not positive on these numbers yet. It looks like we have 1 blue, 1 splash, and 2 black Bresse. The legs of the black chicks are much, much, much darker than the legs of the blue and splash chicks. In fact they look blackish at this point. Is this normal? Do you find the black chicks legs getting bluer with age? Will they always be significantly darker than the lighter colored birds. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I believe I know who is who in my blue/ splash chicks. Here are four black chicks some of them are Bresse some are Isbars. Who do you think is who? Why? I know that I won't really know for weeks. I thought it would be fun to see if there are any noticeable difference at this age. Thank you for your help identifying these babies.

I see that you have a couple of different colors of Bresse. I hope you can help me with my question. My sister and I got 4 blue Bresse this week. There are also Isbars so I am not positive on these numbers yet. It looks like we have 1 blue, 1 splash, and 2 black Bresse. The legs of the black chicks are much, much, much darker than the legs of the blue and splash chicks. In fact they look blackish at this point. Is this normal? Do you find the black chicks legs getting bluer with age? Will they always be significantly darker than the lighter colored birds. Thanks for your help!
Sorry but I can't help you with that question. I only have white Bresse. The chicks in my pic aren't all Bresse. The blue chicks are Pita Pinta/Splash Langshan mix and the one red chick is a Rhode Island Red. I hope someone else has an answer for you.
smile.png

Sorry but I can't help you with that question. I only have white Bresse. The chicks in my pic aren't all Bresse. The blue chicks are Pita Pinta/Splash Langshan mix and the one red chick is a Rhode Island Red. I hope someone else has an answer for you.
smile.png
I am sorry I thought you had both black Bresse and white Bresse.

Back
Top Bottom