Bresse Chickens

Has anybody kept track of their Bresse chicks in terms of weights?

I have Bresse and Marans from the same hatch that are 4 weeks old this weekend....with the exception of two of the Marans, so those don't count. There are obvious size differences so I decided to weigh them:

I weighed the Bresse, and they ranged in size from 13-15.1 ounces, and one of the larger Marans chicks weighed 9.2 ounces. That is quite a difference!

That's amazing. I didn't realize that they got so big. How much does a full grown cock weigh? Hen?

Has anyone had juvie birds (in particular, cockerels) that seem to have a hard time getting around? I have 2 10 week old's and they will take a few tentative steps, then sit down. I have checked them over and they have no obvious injuries. I'm assuming the issues are stemming from such fast growth, but I would rather them be able to move around more comfortably. They (and the rest of the birds they were hatched with = no problems with them) are being fed starter/grower.

Has anyone had juvie birds (in particular, cockerels) that seem to have a hard time getting around? I have 2 10 week old's and they will take a few tentative steps, then sit down. I have checked them over and they have no obvious injuries. I'm assuming the issues are stemming from such fast growth, but I would rather them be able to move around more comfortably. They (and the rest of the birds they were hatched with = no problems with them) are being fed starter/grower.

No not at all :(

I've noticed the Bresse need some room to roam. I had one or two that I was worried about like yours. They seemed to just lay around and not walk much. Within a few days after they went into the outdoor pen with much more room, I couldn't tell them apart from the rest.

I've noticed the Bresse need some room to roam. I had one or two that I was worried about like yours. They seemed to just lay around and not walk much. Within a few days after they went into the outdoor pen with much more room, I couldn't tell them apart from the rest.

Thanks. They are being brooded with Orpingtons and Ameraucanas in a horse stall. They have quite a bit of room, but I have only just started letting them out when I am outside working. Hopefully I will have an outdoor pen ready for them soon.

Thanks. They are being brooded with Orpingtons and Ameraucanas in a horse stall. They have quite a bit of room, but I have only just started letting them out when I am outside working. Hopefully I will have an outdoor pen ready for them soon.

Catalin,

I know you are a vet. Can you test them for coccidiosis? Bresse seem to be a little more vulnerable to it and that is the right age. Remember they don't always show signs like bloody poop.

They do like to roam! I had my breeding flock at a friend's 10 acre farm. We had covered pens that opened into a large fenced area that we let them forage in when they weren't separated for breeding. The forage area was not fenced and the Bresse were constantly escaping. The farm is at the end of a long gravel road with several neighbors on the road. This past week, as we drove by the closest neighbor's house, my daughter said, "Look! Isn't that one of our Bresse?" Sure enough, there in the chicken pen was a white pullet with blue feet! I guess she took a "little" walk and found a new home!

Back
Top Bottom