Bresse Chickens

I received them from greenfire farms May 13, so about 5 weeks old or so. I won blue bresse, but they mistakenly sent white bresse, then sent the correct order after that. I think I made out quite well and they were great to work with!! I have 5 roos from my personal hatch, and those eggs came from a byc'er from Maryland. Out of 13 eggs 11 hatched. I'm overrun with Bresse!!!

I received them from greenfire farms May 13, so about 5 weeks old or so. I won blue bresse, but they mistakenly sent white bresse, then sent the correct order after that. I think I made out quite well and they were great to work with!! I have 5 roos from my personal hatch, and those eggs came from a byc'er from Maryland. Out of 13 eggs 11 hatched. I'm overrun with Bresse!!!

I wish you were closer. We have three Bresse one blue one black and one splash and all are pullets. I would happily take an extra cockerel.

I have a 3x1 - but only have 8 hens... As such was doing a partial tray a week and staging hatches (1 48 egg organizer per stage). Hatch rates have been good so far - Fist stage had about 6 clears and 4 failures, Second stage was a few short had more like 8 clears and 6 failures (possible human error involved. Laying was down do to heat, so 3rd stage only has 25 or so eggs (I did not check for clears).

My wife was debating doing another tray to sell some chicks (we had eggs collected) - but is focusing on visiting DCChicken next week. Perhaps they are conspiring together to do an "eggxchange". The AB roosters we have are not all that kid friendly.

The 3x1 with staged hatches works well with my 1x2 brooder/grow out. Chicks get the heated brooder on week one, and then move down to growout levels. We don't need much heat in Texas as it is over 80 at night now. If it was a little cooler - I could put a lamp on the lower levels, but have not needed to.

Last edited:
I just hatched out some Bresse eggs but chicks have normal yellow/orange legs and feet. Do they grow into the blue, or did I get my eggs mixed up!

Well, I had something happen yesterday that I've never had before. One of my Bresse eggs hatched out a chick with feathered legs! The legs were darker than the Bresse are at hatch too. They are in a breeding pen, but I did catch one of my hens in the adjoining pen with other hens and capons that were mixed Marans/Orpington. She had crossed a 12 foot high oak wall that separated horse stalls in another life. So, I am betting the one that occasionally tried to breed the hens was a slip. I didn't find any sign of regenerated testicle when I butchered them Memorial Day weekend. Must have overlooked it. It will be interesting to watch it grow out, though....1/2 Bresse, 1/4 Lavender Orpington, 1/4 Black Copper Marans.

@islandgirl348 Here is a chick that is not quite a week old:

Here is a chick not quite 2 weeks. You can see they are starting to change colors:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom