Bresse Chickens

Thanks for the great info. I am a beginner, at least to breeding. I grew up with a few chickens mostly hens. They hatched one chick when we did have a roo but it was crushed by one of the other chickens. Got chickens to control tick in our area. They were hatchery stock and I had an issue with scissor beak and my heritage RIRs we're not . Then a neighbor who had beed feeding a local bear for years moves away. They lived on the same 7 acres we did. We knew about the bear but it never bothered us or the chickens. Just garbage. After the neighbor moved the bear came back every day mid day even looking for food. I watched from inside as the bear passed through the yard then one our my sons silkies for 4-h ran up to the bear. My son saw it all happen. Now the bear knew he could eat live chicken he would come back every night and raid the coop. There was nothing I could do he ripped through everything. I rehomed what was left of my flock. Since then we have moved and are starting over again since the ticks are so bad

Here is a pic of one of my buff Wyandotte chicks with a face full of nymph ticks. 15 of them

We had over 20 assorted chickens last time and we saw over an 80 % decrease in the ticks the next year. I don't think they eat the small ones but the adults I would had feed them so I know they ate them. If they get the adult tick they can't lay their eggs for the next year. At least that's what I think happened. We also had 3 guineas and one chicken was an australorp. Anyone have any info on the temperament of the black bresse roo and on egg color size and production of the hens.

Quote: Was this a post from Bob originally ???

Oddly this is one that makes no sense to me-- it should by now. . . but I honestly struggle with it. I looked at it again-- the placement o the generations is what was throwing me off-- 1st genration should be beside the diagram, man those little things can throw me off.

Was this a post from Bob originally ???

Oddly this is one that makes no sense to me-- it should by now. . . but I honestly struggle with it. I looked at it again-- the placement o the generations is what was throwing me off-- 1st genration should be beside the diagram, man those little things can throw me off.
Yes, that is from Bob.

Do you have a better chart for line breeding?

If so I will add it to my notes.

Quote: NO I dont have a better one and this one is just fine-- for some reason I had trouble figuring it out , but I did spend a half hour studying it after I realized what the 2nd and 3rd, etc meant, and NOW I've got it. Honestly I dont know why it fowled :) me up-- it is very simple really.

NO I dont have a better one and this one is just fine-- for some reason I had trouble figuring it out , but I did spend a half hour studying it after I realized what the 2nd and 3rd, etc meant, and NOW I've got it. Honestly I dont know why it fowled :) me up-- it is very simple really.
That is good news!

THe best shipment Ihave sent out was triple boxed and the buyer reported not an aircell was out of place.

A box I received was double boxed but no packing around the eggs other than bubblewrap. HTe banging around broke an egg, which then lead to more banging around for those eggs. Several were broken, and none hatched.

Packing well takes some work. I have had shipments go well and then not . . . always trying to outwit the rigors of the USPS.
i think you can count states between you & the shipper
if it a large number 6, 8, 10 a good hatch will be tough
only a couple states away you may get a bunch to hatch out

Back
Top Bottom