Bresse Chickens

i think you can count states between you & the shipper
if it a large number 6, 8, 10 a good hatch will be tough
only a couple states away you may get a bunch to hatch out

The key factor is the distance between the airport, the service center and your house and the same on the receiving end. The total miles by truck in other words. The more the box bounces in shipment, the worst they are packed, the lower the hatch rate. Sadly there is way too much blame the USPS and not consider the packing. Nearly everyone that has constantly bad shipping results packs the eggs very poorly.

Miles in the air do not hurt the eggs.

I had eggs flown from Spain to San Francisco and had 12 of 15 hatch. That would equal a lot of States! The eggs were flown in carry on luggage so they did not bounce.

Quote: WHile I agree that the packing can help minimize the damage, the usps could do a better job. WHen I have asked for Non-machineable, that is ignored. Only ONE package went that way and it took 4 days to get 1/2 way across the US, sorry I can't remember the state now. ANd the person had a fabulous hatch rate. THere are many handlers that are overly rough with these packages, between the delivery person that drops the eggs on the porch despite the big bright words FRAGILE, to the postal worker going postal on a box marked FRAGILE. THe only factor we can control is the packing ---

I"ve worked in distribution for a catalog company. WE took the extra time for the FRAGILE boxes, but otherwise it was speed that got the job done. ANd handling can be rough when the conveyor is pushing boxes along and a jam occurs, the conveyor doesn't know to stop, and tha is when either a mountain forms and a box pops out to releive the pressure OR boxes start get the crumpled and look like an accordian.

If anyone looks at the boxes provided by the USPS they are not strong enough to hold up to the handling. Too wimpy. THe walls are thin and the paper is thin. I have grocery store boxes rated far higher. Come to think of it the USPS boxes have NO rating. TO see what I mean, look for a cicular stamp and the PSI rating is listed on most cardbord boxes.USPS doesn't have this rating listed. Poor crush rates on most of their boxes.

WHile I agree that the packing can help minimize the damage, the usps could do a better job. WHen I have asked for Non-machineable, that is ignored. Only ONE package went that way and it took 4 days to get 1/2 way across the US, sorry I can't remember the state now. ANd the person had a fabulous hatch rate. THere are many handlers that are overly rough with these packages, between the delivery person that drops the eggs on the porch despite the big bright words FRAGILE, to the postal worker going postal on a box marked FRAGILE. THe only factor we can control is the packing ---

I"ve worked in distribution for a catalog company. WE took the extra time for the FRAGILE boxes, but otherwise it was speed that got the job done. ANd handling can be rough when the conveyor is pushing boxes along and a jam occurs, the conveyor doesn't know to stop, and tha is when either a mountain forms and a box pops out to releive the pressure OR boxes start get the crumpled and look like an accordian.

If anyone looks at the boxes provided by the USPS they are not strong enough to hold up to the handling. Too wimpy. THe walls are thin and the paper is thin. I have grocery store boxes rated far higher. Come to think of it the USPS boxes have NO rating. TO see what I mean, look for a cicular stamp and the PSI rating is listed on most cardbord boxes.USPS doesn't have this rating listed. Poor crush rates on most of their boxes.
when I send a high value item to my inlaws in the Philippines via large flat rate box

i build a 1/2" plywood crate that just fits inside the box

i'm sending a small boat motor in a couple months

piglett

Speaking of a wooden crate... dug this up from https://vegebon.wordpress.com/2010/09/21/. partial dimensions for a Bresse finishing crate. Now need to figure out a recipe for porridge... I am hoping to do my first run at caponizing this weekend.

Spruce include up to three floors, with a minimum separation of 10 cm between two floors. You can see photos here . Animal density of 17 females or 14 males per m 2 or 588 to 714 cm 2 per bird. Recall that 624 cm 2 is the surface of a sheet of A4 and a Bresse chicken weighs about 3kg. Probable sign of discomfort poultry "for capons and hens, the trimming of nails is required to set spruce."

Speaking of a wooden crate... dug this up from https://vegebon.wordpress.com/2010/09/21/. partial dimensions for a Bresse finishing crate. Now need to figure out a recipe for porridge... I am hoping to do my first run at caponizing this weekend.

Spruce include up to three floors, with a minimum separation of 10 cm between two floors. You can see photos here . Animal density of 17 females or 14 males per m 2 or 588 to 714 cm 2 per bird. Recall that 624 cm 2 is the surface of a sheet of A4 and a Bresse chicken weighs about 3kg. Probable sign of discomfort poultry "for capons and hens, the trimming of nails is required to set spruce."

Very excited for you. Do you have good tools for caponizing? Let us know how it turned out.

My crate project is on hold... I might still do one this weekend, but "my" rooster was attacked and killed yesterday (the predator was a family member who got fed up with being spurred - DChicken will probably get the full story, but it was not the nephew he gave the chicks to). Ended up butchering instead of building. We have a spare rooster - so all is not lost. Plus we have quite a few eggs being incubated and chicks being raised.

Also realized my grow out pens are pretty much the exact same dimensions as the finishing pens. I could probably finish a dozen birds at a time in them - so no real rush to build a crate.
---
Other than an operating table stuff, I am set with all the most recommended tools. I have large and small Chinese caponizing tools and a lithium dental head light. Will try to grab the operating table stuff between now and the weekend. I might also try to pick up a normal scalpel. Also might look into a new set of safety glasses specifically modified for the light.

Last edited:
My crate project is on hold... I might still do one this weekend, but "my" rooster was attacked and killed yesterday (the predator was a family member who got fed up with being spurred - DChicken will probably get the full story, but it was not the nephew he gave the chicks to). Ended up butchering instead of building. We have a spare rooster - so all is not lost. Plus we have quite a few eggs being incubated and chicks being raised.

Also realized my grow out pens are pretty much the exact same dimensions as the finishing pens. I could probably finish a dozen birds at a time in them - so no real rush to build a crate.
---
Other than an operating table stuff, I am set with all the most recommended tools. I have large and small Chinese caponizing tools and a lithium dental head light. Will try to grab the operating table stuff between now and the weekend. I might also try to pick up a normal scalpel. Also might look into a new set of safety glasses specifically modified for the light.

Just a small delay. Sorry for the wasted time. But you got supper.
gig.gif
I'm also set up with chinese tools. I even have the rooster, but no time right now. I have a super bright led tiny flashlight that will attach to a table top microphone holder. Feeling better all the time about this. I'd better because I have 13 chickens and 33 eggs that you know will have a lot of males. The Breese will have to wait until next spring.
thumbsup.gif

I have not tried it yet - the idea behind the dental light is that it should cast essentially no shadows that are visible to the wearer (the light is about as behind your eyeballs as you can get). I probably could have accomplished almost the exact same thing with one of my other mini led lights. One has a shirt clip that appeard to be on backwards (clip with the lens pointing out of your pocket rather than down). They did that so you could also clip it under the bill of a baseball cap. That said, it was heavier than the dental light, and more over - currently misplaced.
roll.png

---
The capon project at my house came when I had a bit too much of a toy budget available (and not enough time). I can not say I have made efficient use of funds so far, but it has been a fun ride.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom