Bresse Chickens

So is no one workin with Black Bresse?

They are not the meat variety so less interest imo. They are not just a different color but differnt size weight egg laying taste etc from what I understand.

The 3 that hatched are different colors. One of the eggs had a cream tint. It has some chipmunk touches to her head. But her body color is grey, like the other 2. We got the 3 eggs since we had such a hot summer with a very bad hatch rate. Both in the incubator and all of our broody's.. We normally don't hatch using a incubator, we have it ready just in case the Moma leaves while 1-2 could still be hatching out.. long story short these 3 eggs we got for a hen that went broody after her jungle fowl sister took chicks.. SO... This is what we had at the moment.. Now, question are they good layers? I did not read up on this breed till they hatched. From what I understand they are great for meat.. However, since you mentioned in your post something different, we might keep one or two for their eggs.. If the one is a slash I bet she will be pretty.. We have duck's and enjoy them so much that even our kids like them better than the chickens.. The chicks have been very relaxed when I hold them.. Do they lay only cream and white eggs, how many a week... So please do tell us about them..

The 3 that hatched are different colors. One of the eggs had a cream tint. It has some chipmunk touches to her head. But her body color is grey, like the other 2. We got the 3 eggs since we had such a hot summer with a very bad hatch rate. Both in the incubator and all of our broody's.. We normally don't hatch using a incubator, we have it ready just in case the Moma leaves while 1-2 could still be hatching out.. long story short these 3 eggs we got for a hen that went broody after her jungle fowl sister took chicks.. SO... This is what we had at the moment.. Now, question are they good layers? I did not read up on this breed till they hatched. From what I understand they are great for meat.. However, since you mentioned in your post something different, we might keep one or two for their eggs.. If the one is a slash I bet she will be pretty.. We have duck's and enjoy them so much that even our kids like them better than the chickens.. The chicks have been very relaxed when I hold them.. Do they lay only cream and white eggs, how many a week... So please do tell us about them..
They lay very well.

They eat a lot though.

Someone was offering 12 in Napa but I wasn't sure if I'd make up the finishing costs.

12$ a pound puts each bird at around 50$ a bird finished...holy moses! Lol if your talking 12$ a bird..UH NO not worth it put it in your freezer!

Last edited:
What is the best "cereal"grain to finish?
I believe there's barley, wheat and oats that ive tried.
And are whole oats sufficient? I've found those organic.
I've found most grains, except rolled oats, don't really absorb the milk.
I did process today and an very happy with the Bresse cockerels. They are plump. I didn't completely finish with the grains. I still gave regular feed too. Next time I'll do all finishing grains

What is the best "cereal"grain to finish?
I believe there's barley, wheat and oats that ive tried.
And are whole oats sufficient? I've found those organic.
I've found most grains, except rolled oats, don't really absorb the milk.
I did process today and an very happy with the Bresse cockerels. They are plump. I didn't completely finish with the grains. I still gave regular feed too. Next time I'll do all finishing grains

I used organic kamut from azure standard. It is an ancient type of wheat.

Last edited:
Do you grind your kamut? I got oats and raw goats milk to finish mine with (they are 2 weeks old, I'm an optimist! ) but yeah sure, I will take $50 a lb for white bresse capons finished on raw goata milk soaked some kind of grain.. lol

I'm thinking I might turn my 2 big brooder boxes made out of closet doors in the barn for bresse capon finishing pens. They do seem to eat quite a lot compared to my other chicks. I need to get some more different colored zip ties after I used 2000 of them on the dp meatie/muscocvy duck double enclosed run.

I need to go get feed again soon, what kind of feed are you giving your bresse? I have everything from 23% protein chick starter, 18% layer/all flock, 26% gamebird, we need to get feed again soon. I found out the reason why I go through so much feed; my greyhound Sagan thinks it's totally ok to stick his whole head in whatever feed bag and eat himself silly... this was only discovered after finding what looked like horse droppings in my kitchen & backdoor entry and a significant amount of rabbitt grow pellets missing out of a 50 lb bag a few days ago.

I might get a bulk order of 1000 lbs of feed, but I might just do 200# until I get the mouse situation under better control. The mousetrap I bought 7 weeks ago had caught zero mice. If I order 1000# (not 100% sure though) I can get a custom feed made, what would be ideal for bresse? % protien wise, best grains for finishing capons in raw goats milk... which is supposed to clabber to a more soft yogurt type texture with raw goats milk? What kind of milk and grains is everyone finishing bresse capons on, and what have your results been? I have a 50 # bag of oats regardless and 40 gallons of frozen raw goats milk.

Do you grind your kamut? I got oats and raw goats milk to finish mine with (they are 2 weeks old, I'm an optimist! ) but yeah sure, I will take $50 a lb for white bresse capons finished on raw goata milk soaked some kind of grain.. lol

I'm thinking I might turn my 2 big brooder boxes made out of closet doors in the barn for bresse capon finishing pens. They do seem to eat quite a lot compared to my other chicks. I need to get some more different colored zip ties after I used 2000 of them on the dp meatie/muscocvy duck double enclosed run.

I need to go get feed again soon, what kind of feed are you giving your bresse? I have everything from 23% protein chick starter, 18% layer/all flock, 26% gamebird, we need to get feed again soon. I found out the reason why I go through so much feed; my greyhound Sagan thinks it's totally ok to stick his whole head in whatever feed bag and eat himself silly... this was only discovered after finding what looked like horse droppings in my kitchen & backdoor entry and a significant amount of rabbitt grow pellets missing out of a 50 lb bag a few days ago.

I might get a bulk order of 1000 lbs of feed, but I might just do 200# until I get the mouse situation under better control. The mousetrap I bought 7 weeks ago had caught zero mice. If I order 1000# (not 100% sure though) I can get a custom feed made, what would be ideal for bresse? % protien wise, best grains for finishing capons in raw goats milk... which is supposed to clabber to a more soft yogurt type texture with raw goats milk? What kind of milk and grains is everyone finishing bresse capons on, and what have your results been? I have a 50 # bag of oats regardless and 40 gallons of frozen raw goats milk.

I did not grind the kamut but did provide grit for them.

Mice are bad and hard to get rid of. They have a bred in and trained avoidance of traps and feed baits. I have had good results using liquid bait. Mice drink water every couple of days and rats drink every day. They do not have an avoidance to water yet so they drink right away.

http://www.amazon.com/MOTOMCO-Tomca...=1412945740&sr=8-1&keywords=rat+liquid+poison

Thanks Ron .ill check around for that
smile.png
If you contact Azure, you and see where the monthly drop is in your area. If it is open you can join it.

They have a lot of great organic products.

Back
Top Bottom