Bresse Chickens

Lol, I would love any additional roos, we're beginning to learn how to caponize this weekend in preparation for bresse capons. Wish us luck, we're going to the chicken swap tomorrow to trade slw, wl and a br pullet for any roos we can find. Bah haaa! I might end up bringing home my friends ayam cemani rooster as she has a better one to practice caponizing on. Maybe black meat capon in time for thanksgiving?

I have one hen that has been laying for a full month, and my other two Bresse hens are coming up on 24 weeks and haven't laid yet. They're from the same flock and the same hatch. What is the average time for them to start laying?

Last edited:
I have one hen that has been laying for a full month, and my other two Bresse hens are coming up on 24 weeks and haven't laid yet. They're from the same flock and the same hatch. What is the average time for them to start laying?
You are up fairly far so daylight hours are getting fairly short for you. They start at an average age which would normally be 22 to 24 weeks old. The low light usually slows them down by a couple of weeks but they may not start at all without supplemental light going into November.

If they do start laying they will likely keep laying through the winter though.

I took pictures of my bresse chicks today I can't tell sex yet, but I need to soon to pick my best boys for breeding they need to go for decrowing surgery in about a month any help in picking out boys vs pullets and which to breed with are much needed

I am only able to pay for 2 roos to be decrowed, the others I will have to caponize, which we're still learning how. Does anyone have a dozen white bresse hatching eggs for sale?

I took pictures of my bresse chicks today I can't tell sex yet, but I need to soon to pick my best boys for breeding they need to go for decrowing surgery in about a month any help in picking out boys vs pullets and which to breed with are much needed

I am only able to pay for 2 roos to be decrowed, the others I will have to caponize, which we're still learning how. Does anyone have a dozen white bresse hatching eggs for sale?

too soon imo

2 of my girls became feather pillows with moulting feaver so im maxxed at about 8 eggs for shipping i think wont get a dz in 4 days till they start again.

Back
Top Bottom