Bresse Chickens

I don't know if it is what is needed for "finishing" but I feed extra kefir made from raw cows milk to my chickens quite frequently if I have it. They eat it up.

Hi there, I am new to Bresse breeding and thought I would try to raise a few and see if I liked them. I hatched 5 in July after purchasing a rooster and 2 hens. 2 of the chickens have legs that are not all that blue. Almost flesh colored. Is this normal?
To answer a few questions in advance: 1. I only have the 1 Roo (Bresse) and 2. The hens are my only light colored and cream egg layers (all others lay very colorful eggs Maran, Ameraucana, Isbar...etc...).

Hi there, I am new to Bresse breeding and thought I would try to raise a few and see if I liked them. I hatched 5 in July after purchasing a rooster and 2 hens. 2 of the chickens have legs that are not all that blue. Almost flesh colored. Is this normal?
To answer a few questions in advance: 1. I only have the 1 Roo (Bresse) and 2. The hens are my only light colored and cream egg layers (all others lay very colorful eggs Maran, Ameraucana, Isbar...etc...).
Leg color can be lighter but still blue.

It would be a good idea to use the most productive dark blue legged chickens for breeding.

Last edited:
To answer a few questions in advance: 1. I only have the 1 Roo (Bresse) and 2. The hens are my only light colored and cream egg layers (all others lay very colorful eggs Maran, Ameraucana, Isbar...etc
Hello Zooomama
Welcome to the world of La Bresse Gauloise Breeding.
In short ... "almost flesh coloured legs," On a La Bresse Gauloise Chicken are not normal. You mentioned that you had 5 chicks hatched ... would it be at all possible to post a photo of the parent birds and also all 5 chicks?

Our jungle fowl that is raising the three Breese.our dog is interested in what they're doing. I can't believe she let her gets so close

Last edited:
If you contact Azure, you and see where the monthly drop is in your area. If it is open you can join it.

They have a lot of great organic products.
It is weird to quote yourself!

I am responding to @Arielle regarding where Azure Standard delivers. Not to Maine but it goes farther East from Washington state then I thought.

! And, if you’re from any of the above mentioned states, click over to read their delivery schedule specifics. Flip through the pdf file to find your state and see if there’s a drop location near you. If there isn’t one, you may be able to call and set one up. (That’s exactly how I did it a few years ago…I just called and set up a delivery drop point in my town!)
If you are from CO, NM, OK, KS AR, MO, TX, IA, IL, IN, LA, KY, TN, or north west part of MS – you’ll definitely want to click over to Covenant Ranch Trucking to learn about the services they provide for Azure!

Last edited:
I think I have 3 roos and 4 pullets of the white bresse I got from DC's sister and noticed it looks like the girls legs are darker blue than the boys?

What else should I look for in the roos to breed? I ask now, b/c I'm very urban and need to send off 2 for crow reduction surgery and caponizing the extra one

I think I have 3 roos and 4 pullets of the white bresse I got from DC's sister and noticed it looks like the girls legs are darker blue than the boys?

What else should I look for in the roos to breed? I ask now, b/c I'm very urban and need to send off 2 for crow reduction surgery and caponizing the extra one

The legs are fine--they will get darker as they grow.

Send off the biggest two. You are looking for production after all. It is likely too early to know about aggression but that can be a consideration too.

It is weird to quote yourself!

I am responding to @Arielle regarding where Azure Standard delivers. Not to Maine but it goes farther East from Washington state then I thought.
Yeah, I'm in La and they deliver here to Bossier City as well as south La. Maybe it's the Covenant Ranch Trucking you were talking about. I haven't ordered yet.

Back
Top Bottom