Bresse Chickens

An update on my bresse one pullet died 6 days ago from a respiratory infection after I had sprayed sweet pdz powder before moving them from the barn brooder boxes to outside. Bringing my bresse numbers to 3 roos, 3 pullets.

the condo

by the dustbathing area

An update on my bresse one pullet died 6 days ago from a respiratory infection after I had sprayed sweet pdz powder before moving them from the barn brooder boxes to outside. Bringing my bresse numbers to 3 roos, 3 pullets.

the condo

by the dustbathing area
Make sure that the straw is not going moldy--black mold will have symptoms like you described.

A necropsy would tell you if she died from it.

It wasn't black mold. I necropsied the pullet, it was a respiratory infection. It was because I was careless with sweet pdz powder. I'm pretty upset with myself since these are my most valuable birds (white bresse and ayam cemani).

It was a new structure. Built with new materials. Brand new straw (buy a new bale every 2-3 weeks for all my flocks).

After I sell off my ee's & assorted other egg layers things will get easier.

The crow reduction surgery has been postponed until they are doing better. My one roo with dark blue legs has a curled toe :( my other 2 have fleshy/pinkish colored legs/feet.

It wasn't black mold. I necropsied the pullet, it was a respiratory infection. It was because I was careless with sweet pdz powder. I'm pretty upset with myself since these are my most valuable birds (white bresse and ayam cemani).

It was a new structure. Built with new materials. Brand new straw (buy a new bale every 2-3 weeks for all my flocks).

After I sell off my ee's & assorted other egg layers things will get easier.

The crow reduction surgery has been postponed until they are doing better. My one roo with dark blue legs has a curled toe
sad.png
my other 2 have fleshy/pinkish colored legs/feet.
did you do the necropsy?

A lab would culture and identify the bacteria--then let you know which anti biotic will kill it.

I have not hear of Sweet PDZ causing an infection.

It was the powder and my overzealous application of it. It also got me sick. No I wasn't wearing a mask. I was DUMB and it cost me a pullet, and having to inject my entire flock of 34 chickens 3 days in a row.

I don't normally use medication willy nilly. The chicken vet that does the crow reduction surgery on my roos said to use tylan injections, so that is what I did.

I necropsied her. It made me sad to do it, but I had to find out what happened. I had a different antibiotic on hand but was told not to use that one by the vet for what was going on and pictures etc.

I will probably hold off another few weeks before they go for crow reduction surgery, as one roo seems a bit rattley sounding still yesterday morning, but sounded better last night.

I do have 12 roosters all said and done in my back yard, 3 with the crow reduction surgery, 2 more slated. I'm starting to think though that 1 production red roo is actually a pullet. Still, way too many roos. Only 2 crowing atm and they have had the crow reduction surgery. The crowing contest doesn't last long and nearby traffic is louder than they are. I only plan to keep 5 roos total between 3 different pens, until spring when I will only be keeping 1 white bresse roo and 1 ayam cemani roo when my new spring chicks get here of the new unrelated white bresse line, at least another ayam cemani line from gff and svart honas from dcchicken. And build 2 more if not 5 more chicken coops/pens.

So on my white bresse, my 1 roo with the bluest legs has a curled toe, and the other 2 have pinkish fleshy colored legs. Will their legs become darker, b/c idk about breeding the one with the curled toe (Boris). Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom