Bresse Chickens

It was the powder and my overzealous application of it. It also got me sick. No I wasn't wearing a mask. I was DUMB and it cost me a pullet, and having to inject my entire flock of 34 chickens 3 days in a row.

I don't normally use medication willy nilly. The chicken vet that does the crow reduction surgery on my roos said to use tylan injections, so that is what I did.

I necropsied her. It made me sad to do it, but I had to find out what happened. I had a different antibiotic on hand but was told not to use that one by the vet for what was going on and pictures etc.

I will probably hold off another few weeks before they go for crow reduction surgery, as one roo seems a bit rattley sounding still yesterday morning, but sounded better last night.

I do have 12 roosters all said and done in my back yard, 3 with the crow reduction surgery, 2 more slated. I'm starting to think though that 1 production red roo is actually a pullet. Still, way too many roos. Only 2 crowing atm and they have had the crow reduction surgery. The crowing contest doesn't last long and nearby traffic is louder than they are. I only plan to keep 5 roos total between 3 different pens, until spring when I will only be keeping 1 white bresse roo and 1 ayam cemani roo when my new spring chicks get here of the new unrelated white bresse line, at least another ayam cemani line from gff and svart honas from dcchicken. And build 2 more if not 5 more chicken coops/pens.

So on my white bresse, my 1 roo with the bluest legs has a curled toe, and the other 2 have pinkish fleshy colored legs. Will their legs become darker, b/c idk about breeding the one with the curled toe (Boris). Thoughts?
The legs do get darker. Do the toes go to the side or down towards the foot?

To the side is incubator related. Towards the foot is genetic.

Hello,
I am in search for white, blue & black Bresse pullets. I have a pair mated and laying but I am in need of different bloodlines and colors.
Please contact me if any of you have any for sale or rehoming. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello I also am interested in getting Breese chickens contact me .

Thank you Mike

There are few folks in California that sell Bresse. The best place to look is on California Craigslist. I don't have the space and plan to keep just 1 dual purpose breed, which end up Bielefelder.

Last edited:
In case anyone ever wanted to know what a Cream Legbar crossed with a Bresse would look like:

I love the little crest behind the red comb of this pullet. And here is what the roo looks like: He's the white one in the background behind the two English Orpingtons. I couldn't get him to come out to be photographed.

What is the color of the egg that the CL x Bresse hen lay? I sure want to try Bresse x Bielefelder in the future to see if the bird and egg size improve.

I have 11 white bresse that are around 8 weeks of age. I've noticed most of them lay or sit while eating. Is that norm ? Do those who raise them control feed or have feed available for their leisure around the clock ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom