Bresse Chickens

I have 11 white bresse that are around 8 weeks of age. I've noticed most of them lay or sit while eating. Is that norm ? Do those who raise them control feed or have feed available for their leisure around the clock ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
as for Bresse, I only have one roo and two hens. They never sit or lay around while eating. They are always moving and scratching about while free ranging or when locked up in their run they are walking around and scratching and eating around they round feeder. HOWEVER, I have some white cornish pullets and they laid around eating and then would walk over to their water and lay while drinking.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys. I appreciate the info. Out of the 11. One roo and one pullet seem to lay more then others. I brought the pullet in for the night to watch her. But she seems fine. Just likes to lay down. I'll likely place her back in the coop tomorrow.

What an interesting thread! I was trying to read the whole thing before posting but only made it about 2/3rds of the way :) Does anyone have hatching eggs for sale? I think in about a month I'll be ready - so I thought if someone had a list I'd be happy to pay to be put on it? thanks very much! I'm ready to dive in with both feet and try this breed out!

I have 3 white bresse roos and 3 white bresse pullets, and 24 white bresse hatching eggs otw to me by Monday to put in the new incubator. Oh well.. I think I'm fully committed now.

My white bresse roos also sit while eating. The hatching eggs I'm getting are gff pullets covered by 4 unrelated line white bresse roos, which I'm hoping to find a better male to breed with. Depending on how hatching goes, I may end up culling all 3 of my roos.

Last edited:
I have 3 white bresse roos and 3 white bresse pullets, and 24 white bresse hatching eggs otw to me by Monday to put in the new incubator. Oh well.. I think I'm fully committed now.

My white bresse roos also sit while eating. The hatching eggs I'm getting are gff pullets covered by 4 unrelated line white bresse roos, which I'm hoping to find a better male to breed with. Depending on how hatching goes, I may end up culling all 3 of my roos.

as far as i know there are no unrelated lines that are true breese. Only the recreation california bluefoot. Id have a long talk with the breeder and get info on that.

I was told one breeder had imported an unrelated line of white bresse, which was why I got these eggs. I took these pictures today of my bresse

The one in the snow is Boris of the curled toe..

Given that the gene pool is so small, perhaps we would benefit from discussing how to keep the gene pool as wide as reasonably possible and still keep in mind the "sop" for the bird.

I have ONE cockerel and ONE hen. Having started in turkeys this way and had some success, I can only duplicate that procedure. Breed the two and hatch a number of chicks. Keeping several roosters and a number of hens. While thy are all full s ibs, they are also not clones and that allows for an increase in the genetic variability bird to bird.

The real benefit is that poor performers are invited to dinner. :)

Last edited:
What an interesting thread!  I was trying to read the whole thing before posting but only made it about 2/3rds of the way :)  Does anyone have hatching eggs for sale?  I think in about a month I'll be ready - so I thought if someone had a list I'd be happy to pay to be put on it?  thanks very much!  I'm ready to dive in with both feet and try this breed out!

I'm assuming you are looking for the white variety

Back
Top Bottom