Bresse Chickens

I just set 14 Bresse eggs in my incubator. First time with this breed. So excited to try them out! Hoping to eat some, and keep some for breeding stock, it I like their personalities :).

Now if it would just get a little warmer out here, 10 degrees this morning in WI. Yikes!

How old are your hens when they begin to lay. I have 1 pair. I raised the roo from a chick last year, but the hen as "spring 2014 hatch" last fall. I do not use artificial lighting thru the winter. She has not laid an egg YET.
barnie.gif

Is this typical for the breed, do they lay well, was told that they were GOOD layers.
So far I like the pair, they are both quite stunning. Love the big red comb and their pretty blue legs. I just want to replicate them!

How old are your hens when they begin to lay. I have 1 pair. I raised the roo from a chick last year, but the hen as "spring 2014 hatch" last fall. I do not use artificial lighting thru the winter. She has not laid an egg YET.  :barnie
Is this typical for the breed, do they lay well, was told that they were GOOD layers.
So far I like the pair, they are both quite stunning. Love the big red comb and their pretty blue legs. I just want to replicate them!

Mine were the first to lay. Got them late summer last year and they started in the beginning of January.

@chickeemama
I have 6 laying. They were hatched in April last year, started laying in the fall and laid eggs very well all winter. 4-5 eggs a day.

Now when all my other breeds are ramping up, they are slowing down. (0 to 2 per day)
he.gif

A couple act like they half-way want to go broody. They may just be taking a break though, (they deserve it) I hope they pick up again. I got 3 eggs yesterday.

They have nice large eggs that are very light in color and almost round.
love.gif

So my bresse are scheduled to hatch next week! Excitement, right? This is my first experience with this breed, or any dual purpose breed for that matter. I assume I start them all on chick starter like layers correct? My plan is to let the girls lay and then breed them next spring....a year from now. I will keep one rooster for this purpose and then butcher the rest.

At what point to decide which will become you future dinner and which you keep? Then do you switch those you plan to eat to a broiler diet? I have 25 Cornish x coming at the end of April, will I be able to put the bresse we plan to butcher in with them? Or will it be too early to tell?

I have 14 eggs in the incubator with high hopes! Unfortunately, we had a power outage last night....I'd say the bator was off for about 7 hours total. Urgh I hope that didn't mess things up!!!!

So my bresse are scheduled to hatch next week! Excitement, right? This is my first experience with this breed, or any dual purpose breed for that matter. I assume I start them all on chick starter like layers correct? My plan is to let the girls lay and then breed them next spring....a year from now. I will keep one rooster for this purpose and then butcher the rest.

At what point to decide which will become you future dinner and which you keep? Then do you switch those you plan to eat to a broiler diet? I have 25 Cornish x coming at the end of April, will I be able to put the bresse we plan to butcher in with them? Or will it be too early to tell?

I have 14 eggs in the incubator with high hopes! Unfortunately, we had a power outage last night....I'd say the bator was off for about 7 hours total. Urgh I hope that didn't mess things up!!!!

It is a good idea to keep a backup rooster--Chickens just die sometimes. Also, you can eat the pullets. Bresse are dual purpose meat so the pullets are fair game.

Maybe eat the smaller pullets and keep the 5 biggest for breeding.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom