Bresse Chickens

I put an add on Craigslist a few weeks back and no luck. Might have to order some eggs but really want to find some that I can pick up even if I drive 100 miles. I have a little experience hatching.

I was plan to buy a block from Monroe, but someone beat me to it. There are 2 blocks from Olympia and 1 from Roy base on the ads pop up on Craigslist.

Last edited:
I got mine on ebay and they were from CA.

I candled mine before lockdown last night and was super disappointed. They looked awful. only 1-2 look promising. So sad....I had such big plans for this hatch.
idunno.gif

I did have a power outage over night around day 5...probably around 7 hours. Do you think that did it? or are they just behind schedule? I know I am grasping at straws here. I just hatched some ducks from ebay last month and got 50% hatch rate. I thought that was pretty good in a still air incubator. Sigh....

I got mine on ebay and they were from CA.

I candled mine before lockdown last night and was super disappointed. They looked awful. only 1-2 look promising. So sad....I had such big plans for this hatch. :idunno

I did have a power outage over night around day 5...probably around 7 hours. Do you think that did it? or are they just behind schedule? I know I am grasping at straws here. I just hatched some ducks from ebay last month and got 50% hatch rate. I thought that was pretty good in a still air incubator. Sigh....

still air incubators are very very challenging for shipped eggs. If you are going to try and do shipped eggs might invest in a digital hovabator or a small brinsea.

Shipping is always a gamble. A few tips are ask how they pack eggs and have them held at your po to save them jouncing for a dAy getting the last few miles.

I ship from ca so that's good for the west coast. But shipped eggs will always be tough.

My issue is small hatches...my hens are being stingy!! Last week 4/4 hatched this week 3/3 i have another 20 in the bator now..I hold eggs for a week then add them to one of my bators and hatch in another. Just love yellow chicks

Chiqita ships bresse eggs and her fertility is amazing !!! Most of my bresse are from her;)

Last edited:
I'm trying to avoid shipped eggs. I do have a nice Hovabator 1588 and even the extra humidity controller. I'm putting in about 40 Butler quail eggs in a few days but Leaving room for some chicken eggs in case I find some.

I'm trying to avoid shipped eggs. I do have a nice Hovabator 1588 and even the extra humidity controller. I'm putting in about 40 Butler quail eggs in a few days but Leaving room for some chicken eggs in case I find some.

put up a wtb flyer at your local feed store and Craigslist. And use search tempest to search the craigslist about 500 miles around (also check all the usual mispellings lol) . Those are goos ways of finding locals.

If you are willing to drive to an I-84 bridge crossing anywhere between Pendleton and Portland I can hook you up with some Bresse eggs. We live in a pretty remote place in NE Oregon and I would not trust the postal service with shipped eggs from here, but two of my family members commute from here to Portland every week or every other week, so one of them could potentially meet up with you.

Back
Top Bottom