Bresse Chickens

What breeds or what species :D jk really, i just came into the cluckin world... All of my adult chickens are mix breed. I picked up abuncha random birds, mostly for free during the spring this yr. I have only just begun my first real flock, with a project and stuff. I hatched em, three wks ago :gig in addition to Bresse, i have BOs, EEs, and OEs. I enjoy my turkeys best of all though, i have Bourbon Reds. Then its the ducks whom give the turkeys a run for their $... Waitn on my Cayuga to start layin! Black eggs might make them win the race ;)

how large is the breast on a Bresse? Do they have the same small/medium breast as other duel purpose breeds?

how large is the breast on a Bresse? Do they have the same small/medium breast as other duel purpose breeds?

What breeds or what species :D jk really, i just came into the cluckin world... All of my adult chickens are mix breed. I picked up abuncha random birds, mostly for free during the spring this yr. I have only just begun my first real flock, with a project and stuff. I hatched em, three wks ago :gig in addition to Bresse, i have BOs, EEs, and OEs. I enjoy my turkeys best of all though, i have Bourbon Reds. Then its the ducks whom give the turkeys a run for their $... Waitn on my Cayuga to start layin! Black eggs might make them win the race ;)

Oh wow! How cool it that!! Black eggs!!

Does anyone find that white bresse fall to respiratory problems more easily than other breeds? Out of my entire flock of about 30 mixed breeds and hybrids, only my 3 bresse are openly showing signs of mycoplasma with runny noses and coughing. I know my flock is myco positive, but in the last couple of years only these bresse seem to be so weak at handling it.

I'm looking for some advice.
I have 7 breese chicks that are about 3 weeks old. They were still in the brooder until this morning when I made them a large play area with perches and such. I also gave them meal worms and a treat block. The reason I did so is because last night when I put them to bed I saw that 2 of them had the tail feathers picked on enough to bleed. In reading I saw mention of board, cramped, lack of protein as possible causes. I also put blue coat on the two. Things seemed fine as I checked on them through out the day until I went to put them to bed. Now 6 of the 7 have at least one area that has been picked to bleeding, most have 2 or 3 areas. Now I have patchwork chicks with blue coat! I did notice that all of the areas picked are where new feathers are growing in and you can see the blood in the new quills. I'm assuming this is what has got their attention. Any suggestions to stop this? I'm considering dipping them in food coloring like they do chicks at Easter. At lease that way it would cover up all of the red. Please tell me there is a better way.

When I started with chickens 3 years ago I bought pine shavings from a differenct feed store. Within hours of putting them down I noticed the chicks, about 4 weeks old, starting to show signs of bleeding at the base of their tails. What it turned out to be was depluming mites. They live at the base of the feather just below the skin and emerge to feed. The bird picks at itself and then, once blood shows, the other birds pick at it. It becomes a vicious cycle. After much research on the internet, and here at BYC, I bathed each bird in a solution of dog flea shampoo (with permethrin) and warm water--the birds must be dried at once afterward but I was lucky to be able to do it on a day that was 98 degrees so getting chilled wasn't a problem. You don't bath the bird like a dog or cat, you emerse it for a few minutes making sure the solution gets to every part. Please look in to depluming mites being the source of this problem. I'm sorry, I don't recall the exact ratio of the dog flea shampoo to the amount of water.

When I started with chickens 3 years ago I bought pine shavings from a differenct feed store. Within hours of putting them down I noticed the chicks, about 4 weeks old, starting to show signs of bleeding at the base of their tails. What it turned out to be was depluming mites. They live at the base of the feather just below the skin and emerge to feed. The bird picks at itself and then, once blood shows, the other birds pick at it. It becomes a vicious cycle. After much research on the internet, and here at BYC, I bathed each bird in a solution of dog flea shampoo (with permethrin) and warm water--the birds must be dried at once afterward but I was lucky to be able to do it on a day that was 98 degrees so getting chilled wasn't a problem. You don't bath the bird like a dog or cat, you emerse it for a few minutes making sure the solution gets to every part. Please look in to depluming mites being the source of this problem. I'm sorry, I don't recall the exact ratio of the dog flea shampoo to the amount of water.

Thanks for the reply. I checked them out this morning and do not see ent evidence of mites. I have 11 total in this group, 9 Breese and 2 Isbars, 1 of the Breese and both of the Isbars seem totally fine. The other 8 Breese are the ones I'm having issue with. i also have 2 other groups of chicks in different brooders, but all using the same shavings. If it is in the shavings, I should see the same situation begin to develop with the others. I will definitely keep an eye out for that. Thanks.

I'm looking for some advice.
I have 7 breese chicks that are about 3 weeks old. They were still in the brooder until this morning when I made them a large play area with perches and such. I also gave them meal worms and a treat block. The reason I did so is because last night when I put them to bed I saw that 2 of them had the tail feathers picked on enough to bleed. In reading I saw mention of board, cramped, lack of protein as possible causes. I also put blue coat on the two. Things seemed fine as I checked on them through out the day until I went to put them to bed. Now 6 of the 7 have at least one area that has been picked to bleeding, most have 2 or 3 areas. Now I have patchwork chicks with blue coat! I did notice that all of the areas picked are where new feathers are growing in and you can see the blood in the new quills. I'm assuming this is what has got their attention. Any suggestions to stop this? I'm considering dipping them in food coloring like they do chicks at Easter. At lease that way it would cover up all of the red. Please tell me there is a better way.
Spray the wounds with blu kote.

Also, if you are heating with a light, get a red heat bulb. That will calm them down.

I like brooder plates--give the chicks a place to hide.

Back
Top Bottom