Bresse Chickens

I hope you post the taste test result of Bresse vs. Bresse x Dorking here in the future.  I am interest the cross outcome as well.  I love the Silver Grey Dorking sweet flavor taste, but hate slow growth rate.

I will try. Right now I'm not really expecting much of a difference.
We did a side by side comparison of 3 'slips' (aka an unsuccessful caponization) of an EE, Barred rock, and a Cream Legbar. They were all about 20 weeks old (to old IMO - now we know) and cooked the same way. So, my husband likes white meat and I prefer dark; he liked the EE breast the best but he also said that there wasn't a significant difference. I liked the Legbar the best because the meat had a buttery (not in a greasey way but more of a firm soft way, if that makes sense) texture and was tasty. The Barred rock needed to be younger, too tough. And, the EE was OK, still better than a CX.
We haven't tried the Bresse or Beilifelder yet but will when the capons are older and the Dorking/Bresse hen is about 18 wks old.
Should be interesting :)

I will try. Right now I'm not really expecting much of a difference.
We did a side by side comparison of 3 'slips' (aka an unsuccessful caponization) of an EE, Barred rock, and a Cream Legbar. They were all about 20 weeks old (to old IMO - now we know) and cooked the same way. So, my husband likes white meat and I prefer dark; he liked the EE breast the best but he also said that there wasn't a significant difference. I liked the Legbar the best because the meat had a buttery (not in a greasey way but more of a firm soft way, if that makes sense) texture and was tasty. The Barred rock needed to be younger, too tough. And, the EE was OK, still better than a CX.
We haven't tried the Bresse or Beilifelder yet but will when the capons are older and the Dorking/Bresse hen is about 18 wks old.
Should be interesting :)

Thanks. I have eaten many breeds (Red dorking, Silver Grey Dorking, RIR, New Hampshire, EE, Americana, Barred Rock, Black Copper Marans, Orpington various color, Ga Noi, Cream Legbar, Bielefelder, Delaware, Dark Cornish, La Fleche, CX, Cochin, Naked Neck, Buckeye, Dominique, Wyandotte, and many cross) over the years. The best taste so far is clearly Silver Grey Dorking. I found the rooster taste best at around 19-21 weeks old. As they get older, the meat just too tough and the flavor change. I purchased some American White Bresse hatching egg from Ebay in April and expect to have a chance to taste some roosters because only 1 pullet out of 6.

I definitely like to hear how your experience turn out compare to other breeds.

This guy showed up on my property today. Bresse, er no?

It sure look like Bresse. Is there more than 1 line of White Bresse? I notice 1 bloodline is pure white feather and the other more cream color. Here are the links to 2 bresse color for the comparision. Any input would be appreciate.

Pure white feather:
https://greenfirefarms.com/american_bresse.html

Cream feather at the end of the page:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/home...cken-breeds-greenfire-farms-zbwz1504zlde.aspx

Thanks.  I have eaten many breeds (Red dorking, Silver Grey Dorking, RIR, New Hampshire,  EE, Americana, Barred Rock, Black Copper Marans, Orpington various color, Ga Noi, Cream Legbar, Bielefelder, Delaware, Dark Cornish, La Fleche, CX, Cochin, Naked Neck, Buckeye, Dominique, Wyandotte, and many cross) over the years.  The best taste so far is clearly Silver Grey Dorking.  I found the rooster taste best at around 19-21 weeks old.   As they get older, the meat just too tough and the flavor change.   I purchased some American White Bresse hatching egg from Ebay in April and expect to have a chance to taste some roosters because only 1 pullet out of 6.

I definitely like to hear how your experience turn out compare to other breeds.

That's so interesting and thanks for sharing! I'm so looking forward to trying them all.
What did you think of the Beilifelder? To be honest, the one I have I caponized (so I don't have to worry about him mating) but he's so beautiful and gentle I wouldn't mind keeping him around as yard art, especially if there are tastier chickens.
I had 2 Bresse roo's (Ren & Stimpy), but Ren had to go live with my brother-in-law after he thought it was a good idea to try to spur me. I still have access to him, but a-holes don't get live here. Stimpy is the polar opposite of Ren. Stimpy is the only reason we have a roo. He's the most mellow, Sweetest, barely crows, protects the ladies, and I can feed him out of my hand. Which is why we haven't had a Bresse yet (Ren was to old already). So I hatched some

That's so interesting and thanks for sharing! I'm so looking forward to trying them all.
What did you think of the Beilifelder? To be honest, the one I have I caponized (so I don't have to worry about him mating) but he's so beautiful and gentle I wouldn't mind keeping him around as yard art, especially if there are tastier chickens.
I had 2 Bresse roo's (Ren & Stimpy), but Ren had to go live with my brother-in-law after he thought it was a good idea to try to spur me. I still have access to him, but a-holes don't get live here. Stimpy is the polar opposite of Ren. Stimpy is the only reason we have a roo. He's the most mellow, Sweetest, barely crows, protects the ladies, and I can feed him out of my hand. Which is why we haven't had a Bresse yet (Ren was to old already). So I hatched some

The Bielefelder taste just like any other breed of chicken. They are decent size and friendly bird. I do like the Legbar taste better than Bielefelder. I am no longer have Legbar, but do have Legbar x Bielefelder cross. They do lay nice olive egg and better layer than Bielefelder or Legbar. Due to space issue and feeding cost, I may end up with only 1-2 breeds. I do have 5 Bresse cockerels and 1 pullet from Ebay hatching egg. My hope the Bresse surpass other breed. And my other goal is taste most or all the breed chicken, which more like not. There is also dinosaur chicken only for the royal family . No joke (middle of the page)... http://www.asilclub.spruz.com/forum...B0C7&fid=9A1C433A-A7E4-4F13-91E3-9FD5E2C604F5

I will be raising meat chickens next year. There is a-lot of information to soak up in this thread. What breed is a good meat chicken to have? I keep hearing talk of dorking. Any particular reason why they are so much better?

We're still experimenting so I personally can't speak to the Silver Gray Dorking yet. We only had a hen - she lives at my friend's house now but I can get her for breeding if I need to - and I crossed her with my Bresse roo. Only 1 chick came out of that litter with her as the mother, and that chick is just about 15 weeks old now so to young yet.
It is my understanding that the Dorking is an old breed preferred for meat back in the old days in England; as was the Cornish, also from what I understand.
I'm hatching my own eggs from my chickens so that's why it's taking so long.

If you don't want to wait for the heritage type chicken look into the Red Rangers. They grow fast like the CX but they're actually chickens that do normal chicken things. Compared to the CX their skin isn't as thick as sandal leather or gross because they don't whaller around on their stomachs embedding their fecal matter into every nook and cranny of their breasts, and they taste good (haven't had a mushy one yet either).
The RRangers we had started crowing at 7wks old so the boys and some of the large hens went to freezer camp then and there was plenty of meat on them. A lot of it personal preference.
We're still taste testing so I'm sure someone with more experience can answer your question better, I just saw that nobody had gotten back to you and I didn't want to see you left hanging. :)

I will be raising meat chickens next year. There is a-lot of information to soak up in this thread. What breed is a good meat chicken to have? I keep hearing talk of dorking. Any particular reason why they are so much better?

I've butchered and eaten lots of breeds, many considered fine to excellent table breeds like Houdan and Marans. Still haven't butchered and eaten Bresse (found out the cock I posted above is Bresse--so I may hatch some Bresse X eggs) or Dorking. For the most part I wouldn't say one breed tastes better than another--it mostly comes down to darkness of meat, bone size and meat quantity. The Houdan had very fine long bones. The Chanteclers and New Hampshires (hatchery and breeder sourced) grow quickly. Easter Eggers are darker/gamier meat, but they're so mixed that you never know what you'll get. But, honestly, once they're cut up and frozen, unless I labeled the bags, I'd never know what was who. I'd say the meat has far more to do with how they're raised than the breed. I'm not sure my Bresse will taste much different than my Columbian Rock cockerel considering they are running around in the same place and eating the same stuff--and it isn't bread and milk.

Back
Top Bottom