Bresse Chickens

I have a chance to taste 2+ years old Bresse rooster. The flavor was very good and as good as Silver Grey Dorking or Dark Cornish x Light Sussex. There is no fating up or any special feed. I highly recommend to those who want to raise dual purpose breed. The only thing I don't like is white bird. Have you seen any of your bird with white earlobe? I have 1 young rooster that way. He is lighter weigh than other.
Thanks for sharing your review. Mine are almost 8 weeks old now and considerably plumper than the BCMs and New Hampshire Red mixes that are the same age. I haven't tried Dorkings or Sussexes, but the NH mixes have been delicious, so the bar's going to be pretty high for the Bresse.

I haven't seen white earlobes yet...their combs and wattles aren't that large at this point, so it may show up later..? In any case, they're big, pretty, laid-back birds and will make a nice addition to the flock.
1f642.png

Not seen them in the classified nor Craigslist in my area. Looking for White, Blue and Black. There is a place a few states over but they proved to be unrealiable over time.

I have 3 new chicks hatched yesterday 12/24. I am trying to raise a block that lay well during winter. Unfortunately, my hens don't lay much during winter (approximately 10-30F). For those that live in the very cold/hot climate, make sure the breed can handle the temperature.

I have 3 new chicks hatched yesterday 12/24. I am trying to raise a block that lay well during winter. Unfortunately, my hens don't lay much during winter (approximately 10-30F). For those that live in the very cold/hot climate, make sure the breed can handle the temperature.
Thanks for the heads-up...mine are 4 months old so not laying yet, but I'm hoping they prove to be good (ideally, year-round) layers. Cute chicks!
1f423.png

A couple of photos of my 4 month olds - the cockerels are very meaty!

The rooster has very large frame. I started out with 1 dozen hatching egg purchased through Ebay from Kentucky farmer (6 hatched: 5 roosters and 1 hen). It was little expensive, but hard to find locally here. I also purchased a block of 6 hens and 1 rooster 2+years old. This breed is quiet and definitely worth keeping. I am slowly reduce the rooster so here is the dinner for tonight (debone chicken stuff with mushroom, stuffing, and Italian sausage).

The rooster has very large frame. I started out with 1 dozen hatching egg purchased through Ebay from Kentucky farmer (6 hatched: 5 roosters and 1 hen). It was little expensive, but hard to find locally here. I also purchased a block of 6 hens and 1 rooster 2+years old. This breed is quiet and definitely worth keeping. I am slowly reduce the rooster so here is the dinner for tonight (debone chicken stuff with mushroom, stuffing, and Italian sausage).
That looks - and sounds - fantastic!!
Yikes - you got 5 roos out of 6 eggs? I had similar luck with some duck eggs I set this summer: 4 drakes and 1 duck.
barnie.gif
At least roosters (and drakes) are good eating.

I wasn't able to find Bresse locally, either, so I hatched 16 shipped eggs - only 8 made it to lockdown (7 were clears), and 7 of those actually hatched. These eggs only came from a couple of states away, too. Fortunately, I ended up with 3 cockerels and 4 pullets.

Back
Top Bottom