Bresse Chickens

FoodFreedomNow,
Is there a trick to pluck duck? I love duck roast, but have a hard time plucking them. The skin is a must keep for my family. It keeps the meat moist and flavor. If you have money, invest the Kamado egg cooker. You can add various wood smoke flavor and aroma to many dishes. I do own few Weber grills, but most have been retired.

@speedy2020, I typically dry pluck ducks, except for the ones I raise - with Muscovies, plucking is nigh impossible, so I skin them. I hate to give up (crispy) skin and, even more, the precious fat, but skinning can go pretty quickly. I understand you can scald to loosen feathers or use "duck wax" on pinfeathers, too.

Thanks for the tip about the Kamado!

My experience with La Bresse is that the Roosters put on the weight and size, they are noticeably much much larger than the hens who are more light framed and flighty. So for a serious meal you need roo's. People talk of flightiness, this is definitely true when young I found, mine were taken 2nd generation from France (Im based in Ireland and a few were taken out, not asked how but doubt was proper) However I find the adults to be fine, just always need to watch the roosters as they get serious size

My experience with La Bresse is that the Roosters put on the weight and size, they are noticeably much much larger than the hens who are more light framed and flighty. So for a serious meal you need roo's.  People talk of flightiness, this is definitely true when young I found, mine were taken 2nd generation from France (Im based in Ireland and a few were taken out, not asked how but doubt was proper)  However I find the adults to be fine, just always need to watch the roosters as they get serious size

I had pullets under a year and they were not flighty. I agree on the males filling out faster and females lighter framed but my girls still had decent breast meat compared to other breeds.

Last edited:
Bresse Farms in Mississippi is owned by Justin Moss. Farm operations and orders are done by Randy Moss. Bressefarms.com
I don't know what they charge but it may be an option. Someone else on backyard chickens mentioned another US supplier that charged $29 per chick.

Back
Top Bottom