Bresse Chickens

To be honest, it will depend entirely on quality. I got mine 2nd or 3rd generation from France and they really grow like weed, roosters especially. However like anything, it seems a popular thing to do, which is cross them with leghorns, increases their egg laying as mine were ok, not as reliable as proper egg laying breeds

We got few inches of snow and the temperature around 20-26°F here for a week. The chicken refuse the be out in the snow. How everyone Bresse able to handle cold weather? How cold is where you are?

We got few inches of snow and the temperature around 20-26°F here for a week.  The chicken refuse the be out in the snow.  How everyone Bresse able to handle cold weather?   How cold is where you are?
20-26 degrees? That is a heat wave from where I am sitting. It has been down to 4, 5 & 6 degrees and with all this wind it was-18 & -20 Degrees. When all this snow melts, will be more rain that will not get a chance to dry up because it will freeze every night. The older I get, the less I can take the cold. Gee the wee chickens, if the hawk during the day does not get them the owl will try from dusk to dawn. If the fox does not get them, then the Coyote will have a go at it. And the bear don't care what time of day or night, they like take out. Looking to down size so what is left? Will have enough room that they will nolonger free range. I tried to let my chickens out to free range before another winter storm blew in only this one is hanging around. Agh! I am more than ready for Spring this year. Keep Warm and keep your chickens warm too. Got to get some sleep.

Last edited:
20-26 degrees? That is a heat wave from where I am sitting. It has been down to 4, 5 & 6 degrees and with all this wind it was-18 & -20 Degrees. When all this snow melts, will be more rain that will not get a chance to dry up because it will freeze every night. The older I get, the less I can take the cold. Gee the wee chickens, if the hawk during the day does not get them the owl will try from dusk to dawn. If the fox does not get them, then the Coyote will have a go at it. And the bear don't care what time of day or night, they like take out. Looking to down size so what is left? Will have enough room that they will nolonger free range. I tried to let my chickens out to free range before another winter storm blew in only this one is hanging around. Agh! I am more than ready for Spring this year. Keep Warm and keep your chickens warm too. Got to get some sleep.
We are about 1-3 hours drive away, which has similar condition like your. You need to trap and get rid the pest. We got issue with raccoon couple years back too.

There are so many predators because we are close to many places that harbor and protect, Parkway, Drive, Park & Forest up In dem dar hills. And then we have the ding dang dong gov setting them loose up here.

We got few inches of snow and the temperature around 20-26°F here for a week. The chicken refuse the be out in the snow. How everyone Bresse able to handle cold weather? How cold is where you are?

I'm late to the party...we had snow last week and the Bresse reacted pretty much like the rest of the flock - uncertain at first, not really wanting to walk in it, but then eventually getting over it.
big_smile.png

We got down to the teens (and below zero with wind chill) and they were just fine.

I'm late to the party...we had snow last week and the Bresse reacted pretty much like the rest of the flock - uncertain at first, not really wanting to walk in it, but then eventually getting over it. :D

We got down to the teens (and below zero with wind chill) and they were just fine. 
Our chickens refused to go out in it. W had about a foot of snow. It hit down to 4,5 & 6 and that will
Chillmwent down to -10, -20 & -28. We gave them food and water inside their coops door ways. Now we have mud, mud and oh yes... more mud.
Sorry bumpy dirt road.

Last edited:
Our chickens refused to go out in it. W had about a foot of snow. It hit down to 4,5 & 6 and that will
Chillmwent down to -10, -20 & -28. We gave them food and water inside their coops door ways. Now we have mud, mud and oh yes... more mud.

The mud here is bad, too. The ground looks like it did last spring: sloppy, sodden, and generally horrible. Happy ducks, chickens don't seem to mind, but it's nearly taken my boot off my foot and I've done some fairly acrobatic moves trying not to fall face-first in it.

Since my Bresse are white, they're starting to look pretty dingy from the mud splashing on them. I'm thinking that one day I'll look out and wonder where those gray/brown chickens came from...
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom