Bresse Chickens

I am in the same situation. The muddy run turn the white feather chicken look awful. The sand help when new, but the waste overtime seal up and the water don't dry fast enough. I do like sand in my box coop floor. It makes easy to clean.

I am in the same situation. The muddy run turn the white feather chicken look awful. The sand help when new, but the waste overtime seal up and the water don't dry fast enough. I do like sand in my box coop floor. It makes easy to clean.

It's one of those things you don't think about until it happens - my white ducks can bathe and magically be clean again, but the chickens are just stuck with the mud on them until they can dust bathe it off (and that might actually just add to the problem).

Just hoping for some non-rainy days to dry the mud up...I'd even be happier if it was frozen.
sad.png

Finally processed an American Bresse cockerel today, along with a couple of other mixed-breed cockerels. I could tell very early on that the Bresse was much meatier than the dual-purpose mixes (one was Black Australorp/New Hampshire Red, the other was Gold Laced Wyandotte/NHR), but the post-processing weighing confirmed it: the AB cockerel came in at twice the weight of the smaller of the two cockerels (the BA/NHR).
ep.gif
All were about 5 1/2 months old - I think the AB cockerels could realistically be processed at 4 months and still provide a good-sized carcass.

The AB is resting in my fridge and in a few days, I'll be making my favorite lemon roasted chicken recipe. Will be back for an update after I have a chance to try the meat; so far, though, I'm very impressed. Already planning to have an AB breeding pen, along with a FBCM breeding pen. Wonder if an ABxFBCM would be a good meat bird and/or layer...might have to find out!

Last edited:
Finally processed an American Bresse rooster cockerel today, along with a couple of other mixed-breed cockerels. I could tell very early on that the Bresse was much meatier than the dual-purpose mixes (one was Black Australorp/New Hampshire Red, the other was Gold Laced Wyandotte/NHR), but the post-processing weighing confirmed it: the AB cockerel came in at twice the weight of the smaller of the two cockerels (the BA/NHR). :eek: All were about 5 1/2 months old - I think the AB cockerels could realistically be processed at 4 months and still provide a good-sized carcass.

The AB is resting in my fridge and in a few days, I'll be making my favorite lemon roasted chicken recipe. Will be back for an update after I have a chance to try the meat; so far, though, I'm very impressed. Already planning to have an AB breeding pen, along with a FBCM breeding pen. Wonder if an ABxFBCM would be a good meat bird and/or layer...might have to find out!

I had the same reaction when I processed mine. I also really like them as layers. Can't wait to hear how you like the meat. Sounds like an interesting breeding project.

I had the same reaction when I processed mine. I also really like them as layers. Can't wait to hear how you like the meat. Sounds like an interesting breeding project.
One of my AB pullets just started laying a couple of weeks ago, a cute little brown egg...glad to hear they're also good layers.
1f600.png

I can hardly wait to try it - with that kind of feed conversion, I can see raising a lot more this spring and summer. They're pretty mellow birds, too. Will update soon!

[COLOR=8E8E8E]Bresse Farms in Mississippi is owned by Justin Moss. Farm operations and orders are done  by Randy Moss. Bressefarms.com[/COLOR]
[COLOR=8E8E8E]I don't know what they charge but it may be an option. Someone else on backyard chickens mentioned another US supplier that charged $29 per chick.[/COLOR]

Have you any experience with them?

Did you happen to take any carcass pictures which you could share?

Here are a few photos...

Still in the bag:

Brushed with olive oil and salt & pepper:

Finished product (I obviously didn't tie the legs together):

My review of my first AB: it was a very tasty, meaty bird, not a lot of fat. Good size in the legs and breast (haven't tried the breast meat yet), juicy. Skin crisped up nicely. What did surprise me a little was the mildness of the flavor - my mixed cockerels have a stronger flavor. The Bresse's flavor reminded me more of commercial organic fryers I used to buy before I began raising my own. In fairness, I've eaten a lot of wild game and am probably less sensitive to what some people would call "gamey" flavor...and I've only tried one Bresse to date. In spring/summer/fall, when varied forage is more available, the flavor may be more robust, too.

Back
Top Bottom