Bresse Chickens

There is also Bresse Farms. http://www.bressefarms.com/ Seems like everything is always "out of stock", but I'm betting they probably have them all free ranging and if you call and make a request they will pull the breeders and place them in a pen to fill your order.
I have heard 4 as well. I've heard there's a line from Canada, but they are probably less pure than Greenfire or Bresse Farms. Not sure what the fourth one would be.

I am aware there is Blue Foot chicken start out from Canada, but some end up in California. However, these are not true Bresse. Base on what you are telling me, Bresse Farms able to get another bloodline from France or Europe. Is that correct?

That's my understanding.
I could be wrong, but I believe the Bresse farm in MS, told me they had all 4 green fire farms imports in separate pens. When you call or email there they are friendly and helpful. Actually getting the chicks shipped has been an exercise in patience. I'm not sure I would do business with them again. No better than 2 stars and maybe 1 star. I bought and paid for 6 blue Bresse in Feb. after numerous promises I received them in august. 2 were obvious cockerels and older. One of the young ones is now exhibiting barring. Justin who owns the Bresse farm tells me this is normal...if that's so why aren't the others barred?
IMG_6108.JPG
IMG_6109.JPG

I'd be willing to bet it's a legbar cross. Dishonest of them to tell you that. The bresse I just hatched had a light brahma in the batch. When I contacted him he admitted that the brahma pen is right next to the bresse pen and that interloping could have happened, but that his assistant could have mixed up some eggs too. He was truthful and didn't try to feed me any lines. I told him I don't mind, was just curious how it could have happened.

Hello everyone here. I am new to this forum and trying to get as much information as I can in reading about the Bresse. We just started raising chickens again after almost a decade of not having a flock of our own. Now that we have a small farm starting out we are wanting to work with some meat birds and so we would started raising Bresse chickens.

We just purchased some day old chicks from Greenfire Farms to start our own breeding program and would like to know some important things in starting our venture:

1. Does anyone know of any good true Bresse breeding lines in the Northeast area or does anyone have any eggs for incubating for sale?

2. What is the main difference between the blue, black, and white Bresse? I have heard the white is the only mainly used for meat production and the other colors are smaller in meat weight

3. What would be the best advice/information for someone starting their first breeding flock of Bresse for future meat production? What should I look for in terms of appearance, weight, color, traits/qualities?

I really would appreciate any and all information provided.

Thank you for your time.

So is it true that the canadian line is not true bresse chickens?
I don't know what is "true", only what I've read. That there's a possibility the Canadian line is actually a combination of other breeds made to look like Bresse, but that they aren't. I have no idea if that's true. The real Bresse are basically a closely guarded landrace that is hundreds of years old and has evolved to metabolise different foods in certain ways, separate from any other breed of chicken. The way they are kept in France is strictly adhered to and there is no chance that they have been contaminated with the genes of any other breed pretty much since who knows when.... So you can make some thing "look" like a Bresse, but inside it's not the same.

They are like Champaigne. If it is not made in the province of Champaigne, France, and made from grapes grown in that province, then it isn't real Champaigne.

I don't know what is "true", only what I've read. That there's a possibility the Canadian line is actually a combination of other breeds made to look like Bresse, but that they aren't. I have no idea if that's true. The real Bresse are basically a closely guarded landrace that is hundreds of years old and has evolved to metabolise different foods in certain ways, separate from any other breed of chicken. The way they are kept in France is strictly adhered to and there is no chance that they have been contaminated with the genes of any other breed pretty much since who knows when.... So you can make some thing "look" like a Bresse, but inside it's not the same.

They are like Champaigne. If it is not made in the province of Champaigne, France, and made from grapes grown in that province, then it isn't real Champaigne.
Okay because i have two bresse chickens (i live in canada so there that strain) and i also was told they can also be called canadian blue footed chicken.

I'd be willing to bet it's a legbar cross. Dishonest of them to tell you that. The bresse I just hatched had a light brahma in the batch. When I contacted him he admitted that the brahma pen is right next to the bresse pen and that interloping could have happened, but that his assistant could have mixed up some eggs too. He was truthful and didn't try to feed me any lines. I told him I don't mind, was just curious how it could have happened.

Here is the response from the owner of the Bresse farm in MS:

Our hens and roosters look the same way when there young and growing. A lot of that will disappear as they get older. Thanks for contacting us!

Justin

I bet you are correct. They have legbars on the website. Honesty would have gone a long way with me too. These Blue Bresse chicks cost too much to be OK with mutts. They are down to 1 star now, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom