Bringing ducks indoors?

Thompsonv

Chirping
Jun 15, 2016
Kenduskeag, Maine
Hi I was wondering, I was going to stop at our local bait shop and pick up a couple dozen bait fish for my two duck. It's winter here and I don't have their pool set up anymore for obvious reasons. I was wondering if it would harm them to bring them inside and put them in the tub for a bit while they eat their fish then back outside in their pen currently inside our shed. I wasn't sure how the temperature difference might affect them and wanted to ask in case someone else knew. Thanks so much :)

We had a couple days of warmer weather and I brought them inside and put them in the tub. Kept the water pretty cool and they were confused at first then they were trying to squeeze under the faucet and were dipping and having a blast lol I let em dry off then brought em back to their pen in the shop and they were as happy as a clam :) thanks for the reply

Hi I was wondering, I was going to stop at our local bait shop and pick up a couple dozen bait fish for my two duck. It's winter here and I don't have their pool set up anymore for obvious reasons. I was wondering if it would harm them to bring them inside and put them in the tub for a bit while they eat their fish then back outside in their pen currently inside our shed. I wasn't sure how the temperature difference might affect them and wanted to ask in case someone else knew. Thanks so much :)
I have a similar question. I had to bring my duck in who has a lame foot. She needed to be cleaned up as grooming is difficult for her and the cold water baths outside did not help much. I cooled the house down as much as was reasonable, then warmed it up slowly to my comfort level. It was 9 degrees at the time outside.

She has been here a week and she is ready to rejoin her friends. She is clean and beautiful. It is now 30 degrees for a couple days before the temp drops again.

I dont want to shock her system. Any advice on how to safely transition her?

I have a similar question. I had to bring my duck in who has a lame foot. She needed to be cleaned up as grooming is difficult for her and the cold water baths outside did not help much. I cooled the house down as much as was reasonable, then warmed it up slowly to my comfort level. It was 9 degrees at the time outside.

She has been here a week and she is ready to rejoin her friends. She is clean and beautiful. It is now 30 degrees for a couple days before the temp drops again.

I would let her out during the day for the first day and still bring her in at night if you’re concerned, then as long as she seemed fine I would think it would be ok for her to be fully outside the next day/night. And I would for sure try to get her out and transitioned before your temps drop again.

Off topic but your username caught my eye, yooper. My grandparents live in calumet, I’ve been to copper harbor and it’s beautiful!

She should be fine. I would take advantage of the "warmer" weather. Just make sure she has plenty of bedding to snuggle down in. I bet she will be happy to see her pals again.

I would let her out during the day for the first day and still bring her in at night if you’re concerned, then as long as she seemed fine I would think it would be ok for her to be fully outside the next day/night. And I would for sure try to get her out and transitioned before your temps drop again.

Off topic but your username caught my eye, yooper. My grandparents live in calumet, I’ve been to copper harbor and it’s beautiful!
It is an amazing place. If you visit again lmk and ill introduce you to my girls 😊. Stop by The Genny and ask for Staci. And ty for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom