Bringing new birds home. Worried about mites

Its Just Us Chickens

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Mississippi
We were given a chick (americauna), about a month old, by someone who raises chickens. It was an odd egg she stuck under a brooding hen, and she is letting us have it. Anyhow, her chickens have mites. I have no idea if this baby has mites or not ( I haven't seen it yet, dh is bringing it home now) and am worried about how to treat it, and if it will spread mites to the rest of my chickens.
How do I know if it has mites, how do I treat it and prevent spreading it?

Forgot to say: He's also bringing me 2 silkies. They came from the mother of the woman who gave us the chick. DOn't know if they have mites or not.

Last edited:
Go to the feed store or any store that sells garden supplies and pick up some garden insect dust or Sevin dust. Sprinkle it on the chick and you won't have a problem. It might be a good idea to treat your older birds too, I've not seen many flocks that were totally mite/lice free.

What shelley said, and I would keep that chicken quarantined someplace else for a few days after treatment so you can check to be sure before putting her in with the others. When we treat for mites in ANY animal, we wash, treat, wait 2-3 days, wash, treat, and check back in another 2 days just to be sure. Mites can go from just being there to very bad in a very short amount of time under the right conditions.

Quote:
The feed store here sells a product that is for both garden insects and poultry dusting, but several people on this forum use Sevin dust on their birds
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom