Ivermectin and scaly leg mites. Help!

I don’t see why elector PSP wouldn’t work for the mites around the coop - I would definitely give that a try. Careful with Ivermectin if you have a dog around that might eat chicken poops. There is a mutation common in a number of breeds (collie dogs for example) MDR1 that keeps the dogs from properly metabolizing the drug and it can make them very sick and kill them. Ivermectin gets excreted in the droppings and stays dangerous to those dogs for a long time.

Oh, yes, that would be of great concern if you sell eggs, you definitely would have to observe a long withdrawal period.

If the one hen is becoming lame and the infestation is severe, she may also have infection due to the SLM. That can happen sometimes and giving an antibiotic may be necessary unless you can get it all under control.

Then it's slowly spreading in your coop/housing as well.

Even if you treat the birds, if the housing/coop is infested, you're fighting a losing battle.

You made another thread asking about Elector PSP. I don't know how effective it is treating SLM on the bird, but I would consider using it to treat housing if you are finding Permethrin ineffective.

You'll get some conflict with the Kerosene/A+D treatment too, but it's an old remedy and I've heard from more than one person that it works.
But again, if you have a problem with the whole flock, then housing is going to need to be treated. While SLM do mainly live on the bird, they have to travel/transfer somehow, so I'd suspect you may find them or their eggs in some nooks/crannies of your roosting bars and/or in the nesting boxes. Just my thoughts on that.
Yeah. I’m certain it’s in the coop and run. It’s super frustrating they don’t have anything approved and don’t put any time into backyard poultry. I saw some spray from the UK? Mite ex or something like that.
Is diatomaceous earth best spread throughout the run or permethrin? I’ll spray the inside of the coop but this issue has been going on for years and I’ve been trying.

I don’t see why elector PSP wouldn’t work for the mites around the coop - I would definitely give that a try. Careful with Ivermectin if you have a dog around that might eat chicken poops. There is a mutation common in a number of breeds (collie dogs for example) MDR1 that keeps the dogs from properly metabolizing the drug and it can make them very sick and kill them. Ivermectin gets excreted in the droppings and stays dangerous to those dogs for a long time.
The elector, I was thinking, would be to dip their legs in.

A lot of people use Nustock Cream found in horse medicines, which is sulfur powder, pine oil, and mineral oil mixed in a tube. You can make your own in a container. It still has to be applied a couple of times a week until scales grow back.

What are you using for bedding? Do you need to do a big clean out of the coop and nests? When I have seen scaly leg mites, it is usually in an older or more sickly chicken who doesn’t keep up with dust bathing.

Yes. I’m just curious if it would work on scaly leg mites in the birds or if anyone’s tried it?
I haven’t had SLM so far, so haven’t tried it. I would do a thorough coop and run treatment with the Elector PSP and do the cream on the legs - I have never read a recommendation to spray the legs for SCM, and it won’t hurt to try it, but the ointment sounds like a tried and true thing. Definitely do their environment at the same time so you can finally get rid of this pest.

Is diatomaceous earth best spread throughout the run or permethrin? I’ll spray the inside of the coop but this issue has been going on for years and I’ve been trying.
We use food-grade DE religiously in our coop about twice a month. I know it works as a preventative for killing mites/lice albeit not SLM for some reason.

With that said, once an outbreak happens, DE is about useless. You need something stronger. The Permethrin is what I'd use in the coop. I've heard you shouldn't let a cat in your coop for a day or two after though after using it.

A lot of people use Nustock Cream found in horse medicines, which is sulfur powder, pine oil, and mineral oil mixed in a tube. You can make your own in a container. It still has to be applied a couple of times a week until scales grow back.

What are you using for bedding? Do you need to do a big clean out of the coop and nests? When I have seen scaly leg mites, it is usually in an older or more sickly chicken who doesn’t keep up with dust bathing.
I’ll check Nustock. I use the pine chips from tractor supply. (White bags). My first chickens were older and from a buddy. I didn’t know any better and they all already had them. That was 2018 and all my birds basically have had it since. 😕 normally it doesn’t seem to be an issue but this bird in particular is having a heck of a time and her poor feet look worse than I’ve seen.

We use food-grade DE religiously in our coop about twice a month. I know it works as a preventative for killing mites/lice albeit not SLM for some reason.

With that said, once an outbreak happens, DE is about useless. You need something stronger. The Permethrin is what I'd use in the coop. I've heard you shouldn't let a cat in your coop for a day or two after though after using it.
Why cats?

Back
Top Bottom