Ivermectin and scaly leg mites. Help!

RESQME49

Songster
6 Years
Jan 21, 2018
Olympia Washington
I know theres some issues or controversy on ivermectin but Im at my whits end with these scaly leg mites. One 3 year old buffy now has feet so bad they are an issues for her to get around and rubbing jelly isnt working. What is the egg withdrawl of ivermectin and is it safe for us to eat the eggs? How do I clean the coop and chicken yard to prevent further? Does anyone use anything else with success? And if Ivermectin is the way, how much and what kind? I have a local tractor supply.
Thank you!

I know theres some issues or controversy on ivermectin but Im at my whits end with these scaly leg mites. One 3 year old buffy now has feet so bad they are an issues for her to get around and rubbing jelly isnt working. What is the egg withdrawl of ivermectin and is it safe for us to eat the eggs? How do I clean the coop and chicken yard to prevent further? Does anyone use anything else with success? And if Ivermectin is the way, how much and what kind? I have a local tractor supply.
Thank you!
Diatomaceous earth is recommended for dusting around the coop. My local feed store sells 50 lb bags for $25 or so.
It says here the withdrawal time is estimated at 7 days
Ivermectin for Chickens and Ducks - Poultry DVM https://poultrydvm.com/drugs/iverme...riod: Has not,given away or sold commercially.

Here's recommended dosage:
https://poultrydvm.com/condition/scaly-leg-mites

Personally I will use a dab of the apple flavored horse paste from TSC and mix with a gallon of their water.
I wonder also if some iron rich supplements or quail eggs would be helpful too. Mites eat blood so she may be anemic.
Also, can you isolate her, in a crate with soft bedding, to prevent spread and make her more comfortable?

It works over here in the UK still. Bear in mind that you won't see any improvement until the hen sheds the damaged scales. Some chickens seem to be prone to this mite so treatment is often ongoing.
There is no official egg withdrawal time as far as I know. Some people say seven days for eggs and 14 for meat. Some say you can never eat the eggs which is rather extreme in my opinion. I would go for 14 days for the eggs. Some people don't bother with any withdrawal period and are still posting on this forum.

Fire is the only reliable method of ground treatment that I know about. For some people it isn't a realistic proposition because they have large static coops.

I don't know about the dosages recommended in the USA I'm afraid.

Thank you!
I use it on silkies. Not sure what the controversy is but sorry if you're hearing it's not good as it is.

I use the 5 mg pour-on from TSC. I went in at night. I spread the feathers on the back of a silkie and put 1 eye dropper drop up toward their neck. I repeated this in 10 days. That was a couple of months ago. They're not 100% yet but SOOOO much better!

I got the 1 drop was for a few lbs chicken from bitchin chickens website. If yours are larger, go 2 drops but no more. She said there people are overdosing their chickens with that stuff.

Withdrawl is like 2 weeks I think but hubby doesn't care and eats them anyway saying maybe if it's in the eggs, it'll cure something he wasn't aware of. ☺️

Thank you!
Photos of the legs?

What's the controversy?

Vaseline will work, it just has to be applied a couple of times a week for weeks. If the SLM infestation is severe, then it will take much longer for the legs to heal.

Ivermectin is effective for treating Scaly Leg Mites and Mites on poultry.
There's no FDA approved withdrawal stated for Ivermectin in poultry, it would be used off label, so most observe a 30 day withdrawal period after the last dose.
So you're looking at 40days or so, depending on when you give the second treatment.

And...some don't observe any withdrawal period - it's up to you to determine what you want to do after your own careful reading and research:)

Ivermectin is dosed by Weight. You can use Injectable or Pour On. Dosing is in this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites-lice-now-hen-growling.1242981/page-2#post-19965544

Photos of the legs?

What's the controversy?

Vaseline will work, it just has to be applied a couple of times a week for weeks. If the SLM infestation is severe, then it will take much longer for the legs to heal.

Ivermectin is effective for treating Scaly Leg Mites and Mites on poultry.
There's no FDA approved withdrawal stated for Ivermectin in poultry, it would be used off label, so most observe a 30 day withdrawal period after the last dose.
So you're looking at 40days or so, depending on when you give the second treatment.

And...some don't observe any withdrawal period - it's up to you to determine what you want to do after your own careful reading and research:)

Ivermectin is dosed by Weight. You can use Injectable or Pour On. Dosing is in this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites-lice-now-hen-growling.1242981/page-2#post-19965544
The legs are super bad SLM. My whole flock has them and has for years. I’ve done the vasoline, Vicks, veg oils. They work just ok and only for a very little bit. I don’t have the time after doing that to do my whole flock daily or every other day for weeks.
The controversy is the non fda approval and not knowing how long it stays in the egg yolk. Once treated you cannot give eggs away or sell which I do and by those standards I’m not sure why you’d want to risk that yourself. But I’m also in a pickle as one bird is slowly becoming what I feel is lame due to it. I’m considering kerosene/A and D mix? Not sure. I just hate seeing her like that and want it fixed.

The legs are super bad SLM. My whole flock has them and has for years. I’ve done the vasoline, Vicks, veg oils. They work just ok and only for a very little bit. I don’t have the time after doing that to do my whole flock daily or every other day for weeks.
The controversy is the non fda approval and not knowing how long it stays in the egg yolk. Once treated you cannot give eggs away or sell which I do and by those standards I’m not sure why you’d want to risk that yourself. But I’m also in a pickle as one bird is slowly becoming what I feel is lame due to it. I’m considering kerosene/A and D mix? Not sure. I just hate seeing her like that and want it fixed.
Oh, yes, that would be of great concern if you sell eggs, you definitely would have to observe a long withdrawal period.

If the one hen is becoming lame and the infestation is severe, she may also have infection due to the SLM. That can happen sometimes and giving an antibiotic may be necessary unless you can get it all under control.

Then it's slowly spreading in your coop/housing as well.

Even if you treat the birds, if the housing/coop is infested, you're fighting a losing battle.

You made another thread asking about Elector PSP. I don't know how effective it is treating SLM on the bird, but I would consider using it to treat housing if you are finding Permethrin ineffective.

You'll get some conflict with the Kerosene/A+D treatment too, but it's an old remedy and I've heard from more than one person that it works.
But again, if you have a problem with the whole flock, then housing is going to need to be treated. While SLM do mainly live on the bird, they have to travel/transfer somehow, so I'd suspect you may find them or their eggs in some nooks/crannies of your roosting bars and/or in the nesting boxes. Just my thoughts on that.

I've heard of gasoline too but I sure wouldn't be using gas on any of my chickens.

Having silkies comes with SLM and this last bout of them the Ivermectin worked well. I only used it because this time I had twice the chickens and sure didn't feel like smearing vaseline on 28 feathered legs three times a week. That's what I did the two other times and that worked. I just looked for some other way this last time and thus did the Ivermectin as I stated above.

Back
Top Bottom