Brinsea Octagon 20 advance incubator review

Thanks! The unit I got has one of those old fashioned mercury thermometers in it, so it seems to be very accurate? Maybe I don't need a second thermometer to double check it?

Thanks again! Good to know!!!!!! How about the humidity - do you trust the machine or do you double check it with a hygrometer? If you use a hygrometer, what kind?

I trust the machine for the humidity. No reason to trust myself though. Two days ago I woke up in the middle of the night to a nonstop whirring of the pump. I had forgotten to refill it, and now humidity had been 40% for many hours, while lots of eggs were hatching. In the end 23 of 26 hatched, so no worries there.

Of the five or so hatches I have had so far, only 2-4 eggs out of 28 have failed to hatch - consistent and good hatching for me with this machine.

Only thing I don't like about it is that i wish I had bought the 40-egg version
tongue.png

Thanks for the link and the rousing endorsement!!!!! I am so glad I decided to pony up the bucks and get a Brinsea! While I did manage to get a used one, I figured that the reason there were so few used units was that everyone simply kept theirs because it works so well. There are tons of Hovabators, Little Giants, etc. out there, but used Brinseas are few and far between!!!

HELP please. I have a question for everyone. My brinsea had a problem with the thermometer, it had a separated column which means it basically had air bubbles in the Mercury line. I removed the thermometer and fixed it, but now I'm not sure where I'm supposed to screw the thermometer back in! I need help. My eggs are on day 11 and doing great. Any pics would be helpful or just advice. Basically, does the end that feels the temperature go above the circular fan inside or Should it be away from the fan? Thoughts?

Got my first brinsea
1f389.png
Thanks so much for the review! May I suggest to not go for the Eco? I got it with the autoturn cradle, and there are so many fiddly parts
1f605.png
... I have spent SO LONG trying to turn the dial to get a temperature of 37.5 Degrees Celsius, and I still am trying! Also, I have to buy a hygrometer which I think the octagon has a built in... Ugh...

Just ordered mine last Monday. Can't wait to see the results. just hatched paint silkies on a LG and out 16 that made it to lock down, only 9 hatched. hope to have better percentage with the Brinsea octagon advance

Back
Top Bottom