Brinsea Octagon 20 advance incubator review

Good morning and Happy Holidays to all!

Quick question re the Brinsea Advance 20 - approximately how many hatches do you think it will do during its lifetime? How many have you done with yours? I'm thinking of getting an older one (basically ten hatches) but I worry that it will start to break down.

Thanks for your input!!!!!

caf.gif

So as day 22 draws to a close, my last egg just hatched. My first try with the incubator, with 4 eggs I pulled out of my mixed pen, got all 4 to hatch. :) I did have to add a sponge and a half at lockdown to keep the humidity up, and I did have to squirt some water through a line I snaked through the vent hole to keep the humidity up. Other than that, it was a really easy experience. Now I've got 4 little fuzzy butts trampling each other in there. I can't picture hatching a full incubator and having them all in there drying at once.

So as day 22 draws to a close, my last egg just hatched. My first try with the incubator, with 4 eggs I pulled out of my mixed pen, got all 4 to hatch.
smile.png
I did have to add a sponge and a half at lockdown to keep the humidity up, and I did have to squirt some water through a line I snaked through the vent hole to keep the humidity up. Other than that, it was a really easy experience. Now I've got 4 little fuzzy butts trampling each other in there. I can't picture hatching a full incubator and having them all in there drying at once.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! And thanks for the tips! I did get an Brinsea Eco and it powered up just fine. I'm going to order a hygrometer to keep an eye on the humidity, just for my own edification. And I FINALLY got my roo today (Splash Marans) who will get to meet his brides (one Splash, three BCM, and one BCM/Cream Legbar cross). He is BEAUTIFUL and I am so excited to try the incubator!

Thanks again!

Yes, thanks to everyone that is posting experiences here. I keep watching and appreciate all the input.

I've had a hard time wanting to spend the money. Besides that, prefer letting a broody hatch for me. But I'm definitely leaning towards this incubator if I do buy one.

I have the octagon 20 advance with humidity pump and don't have a bad word to say about it. It's totally set and forget, no babysitting or messing with it all. I just top the water tank up 2-3 times during incubation and that's it. It has produced me some fabulous results and lots of beautiful chicks!!

Just a little addition from me: I have had some issues with the thermometer with both my Brinseas (Octagon Advance 20 with external humidity pump, and Advanced Eco for 7 eggs). One shows too high temperatures, and one shows too low temperatures. The temperature is constant, so once I figured out the difference, I just changed the temp settings and everything was fine.

I know more people who have had this problem, so I strongly advice to buy a precise thermometer to check the temp before starting the incubator, and occasionally throughout the hatching. Supposedly you can fix the calibration yourself, or send it for recalibration with the supplier. So far I haven't bothered - it works just fine as long as I correct for the temp deviation.

Just a little addition from me: I have had some issues with the thermometer with both my Brinseas (Octagon Advance 20 with external humidity pump, and Advanced Eco for 7 eggs). One shows too high temperatures, and one shows too low temperatures. The temperature is constant, so once I figured out the difference, I just changed the temp settings and everything was fine.

I know more people who have had this problem, so I strongly advice to buy a precise thermometer to check the temp before starting the incubator, and occasionally throughout the hatching. Supposedly you can fix the calibration yourself, or send it for recalibration with the supplier. So far I haven't bothered - it works just fine as long as I correct for the temp deviation.

Have you heard of any problems with the Octagon Eco? Also, what kind of thermometer do you use - one with a probe or just one you put in the incubator itself? Thanks!

Hmmm - I think I have the Advance Eco (7 eggs, automatic turner), and the Rolls Royce Octagon with automatic turner and automatic humidity pump.

I used an external thermometer that I placed inside the incubator (at the top level of the eggs). I tried all kinds of cheap thermometers first, but they all showed different temps. So I got one from Brinsea - simple but accurate. (Looks like the old fashioned mercury ones).

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom