Brinsea Octagon 20 incubator wicking

I was also thinking that some people put paper towel down on the tray in incubator for traction for the chicks.  However I am thinking that may keep the humidity from rising and keep humidity low if using.  Is it still recommended to use the paper towels for traction so they do not get splayed leg or do most people not use the paper towel or felt on tray bottom?  Thanks.

:frow

Are you meaning for the octagon models or for the mini models? For the Brinsea mini models I would certainly recommend the use of self liner/kitchen towel as the surface in the mini's are slippery. I've never had a problem with the octagon tray though.

OK. Thank you FoodFreedom!
thumbsup.gif

I've used non-slip rubbery shelf liner in the bottom of the tray for traction, and it seems like paper towels would also work; further, I think the humidity will go right through the paper. I'm not convinced of the necessity of adding material for traction, though - because there's plastic mesh in the bottom of the tray, chicks are usually able to get around on it just fine. I didn't use any material for traction with my last hatch in a Hova-Bator Genesis hatcher - the mesh on the bottom is larger than in the Brinsea - and none of the chicks had splay leg.

IMO, I'd be more concerned about a slick surface in the brooder causing or contributing to the development of splay leg. Paper towels or potty pads are good as initial brooder flooring for newly-hatched chicks.

OK. Thank you FoodFreedom!
smile.png

frow.gif

Are you meaning for the octagon models or for the mini models? For the Brinsea mini models I would certainly recommend the use of self liner/kitchen towel as the surface in the mini's are slippery. I've never had a problem with the octagon tray though.
No. This is for the Octagon model. Thank you! I didn't put any paper towels in it. Fingers crossed.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom