Broad Breasted White Turkey.....Is It True??

Kristen D

Songster
Jun 24, 2017
IMG_0347.JPG
I purchased 11 broad breasted white turkeys from my local feed store last month. My children, my husband, and myself absolutely adore these turkeys! I have recently been told that this breed of turkey is only bred as a meat bird, that must be slaughtered. Apparently, they get so big that they can't walk, and start having serious health problems, and because of these issues it's inhumane to keep them alive. Is this an exaggeration, or is this true?

Some have kept them alive for 1-2 years. You will need to limit their feed and increase their exercise. Generally if they mature without leg problems than their hearts can be stressed by all the weight. So keeping them on a diet and exercised can prolong their lives.

Next time seek out heritage varieties that can live up to 8-12 years.

Oldhen is right. You can keep em around longer than commercial facilities say, much like meat chickens, but they are inherently a meat bird. It's like buying a Great Dane (Danes hit senior at 5 years, normal dogs hit senior at 9). Giant animals have much shorter lifespans. I have kept cornish crosses around for 2 years through careful management, I imagine you could do the same for these... But they will not have a full, natural lifespan the way a normal sized bird will. All of my old CXs have died suddenly, I presume from heart failures, though they were very happy while alive. They also eat a LOT of food when full grown.

Maybe you can sell them to someone who is interested in the meat for a little more than you spent on them since you've been raising them out for a bit and use the money you get back to get some heritage breeds instead. A little research will go a long way into picking the breed that's right for you.

Back
Top Bottom