Broad Breasted White Turkey.....Is It True??

View attachment 1079262 I purchased 11 broad breasted white turkeys from my local feed store last month. My children, my husband, and myself absolutely adore these turkeys! I have recently been told that this breed of turkey is only bred as a meat bird, that must be slaughtered. Apparently, they get so big that they can't walk, and start having serious health problems, and because of these issues it's inhumane to keep them alive. Is this an exaggeration, or is this true?
The two I had lived for at least three years. I think the first one died from some sort of heart problem, and the second died from something unrelated to her breed/size. There was another member that had one live to be 9 or 10, so I think it really depends on the individual bird.

The two I had lived for at least three years. I think the first one died from some sort of heart problem, and the second died from something unrelated to her breed/size. There was another member that had one live to be 9 or 10, so I think it really depends on the individual bird.
Do you have any advice as to how you got your turkey to live that long?

View attachment 1079262 I purchased 11 broad breasted white turkeys from my local feed store last month. My children, my husband, and myself absolutely adore these turkeys! I have recently been told that this breed of turkey is only bred as a meat bird, that must be slaughtered. Apparently, they get so big that they can't walk, and start having serious health problems, and because of these issues it's inhumane to keep them alive. Is this an exaggeration, or is this true?
Yes, these are basically POULTRY FARM BREED turkeys like poultry farm hens but if these are raised, most of them would be males which are sold. However if you get females also and raise them in open environment like any other bird, they will also solve the purpose for which you have bought. They will be good egg layers and if pair mates , then you can get chicks as well. It only depends on the age of bird, if you have bought grown up , then eat them up, if these are less than half of the age, then these will become proper turkeys also. So no need to worry, make them play and graze in natural environment. Thanks

Yes, these are basically POULTRY FARM BREED turkeys like poultry farm hens but if these are raised, most of them would be males which are sold. However if you get females also and raise them in open environment like any other bird, they will also solve the purpose for which you have bought. They will be good egg layers and if pair mates , then you can get chicks as well. It only depends on the age of bird, if you have bought grown up , then eat them up, if these are less than half of the age, then these will become proper turkeys also. So no need to worry, make them play and graze in natural environment. Thanks
Thank you! That gives me a glimmer of hope. At the moment they are only a few weeks old. They free range, and are actually quite good at it. They don't ever spend their days at the food dish, the run around, and forage insects. Currently, they are tall and lean. I don't notice a very large breast, and they definitely aren't obese.

Thank you! That gives me a glimmer of hope. At the moment they are only a few weeks old. They free range, and are actually quite good at it. They don't ever spend their days at the food dish, the run around, and forage insects. Currently, they are tall and lean. I don't notice a very large breast, and they definitely aren't obese.
Oh few weeks, then you just raise them free. The male would be proper males and if you had females then you will enjoy lot of eggs. So best of luck. BUT make them move out freely so as to give them natural environment.

I have a broad breasted bronze that is 4 years old and still living strong. As soon as she got out of the brooder we free ranged her. In the summers we feed her almost nothing she free ranges all day with her heritage breed tom. In the winters we are forced to feed her but still try to free range as much as possible(even when it's -25F or -30F). She even roosts, it's not far off the ground but she flys/hops up onto a upright long. She has went broody for us many times and has successfully with a little help form the incubator (just hatching them to make sure all the eggs hatch) hatched out just under 20 young.

Last edited:
I have a broad breasted bronze that is 4 years old and still living strong. As soon as she got out of the brooder we free ranged her. In the summers we feed her almost nothing she free ranges all day with her heritage breed tom. In the winters we are forced to feed her but still try to free range as much as possible(even when it's -25F or -30F). She even roosts, it's not far off the ground but she flys/hops up onto a upright long. She has went broody for us many times and has successfully with a little help form the incubator (just hatching them to make sure all the eggs hatch) hatched out just under 20 young.
That's awesome!

Back
Top Bottom