Broad Breasted White Turkey.....Is It True??

I had Royal Palm turkeys for many years.
they are very easy to make into pets.
I had one hen who would fly up onto my shoulder every morning. she just started doing it one day. she would ride around on me while I fed the rest of the birds..

.....jiminwisc.......

I had Royal Palm turkeys for many years.
they are very easy to make into pets.
I had one hen who would fly up onto my shoulder every morning. she just started doing it one day. she would ride around on me while I fed the rest of the birds..

.....jiminwisc.......
Yes, those are way better than hybrids.

With hybrid meat turkeys, they die from heart failure due to size. They need to be fed a small amount, not unlimited feed.
Unlike the CornishX meat chickens the meat turkeys are not hybrids. They are a variety that has been developed over the years for rapid growth and they do breed true which hybrids won't do.

Limiting the feed is good but it should be a high quality feed that contains the additives in the proper amounts for turkeys. Free ranging and lots of exercise helps. Treats of the type such as corn and sunflower seeds should be kept to a minimum as they are high fat foods.

Bronzes are heritage and do not die of heat failure. If you get more sometime, I would reccomend Bronzes.
Bronze turkeys come in both varieties. There are Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys which along with Broad Breasted Whites are the most common turkeys sold at feed stores. There are also Heritage Bronze turkeys.

All turkeys whether broad breasted or heritage can die of heart failure if fed too high a fat diet.

Unlike the CornishX meat chickens the meat turkeys are not hybrids. They are a variety that has been developed over the years for rapid growth and they do breed true which hybrids won't do.

Limiting the feed is good but it should be a high quality feed that contains the additives in the proper amounts for turkeys. Free ranging and lots of exercise helps. Treats of the type such as corn and sunflower seeds should be kept to a minimum as they are high fat foods.
Thanks! I appreciate the help :)

Bronze turkeys come in both varieties. There are Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys which along with Broad Breasted Whites are the most common turkeys sold at feed stores. There are also Heritage Bronze turkeys.

All turkeys whether broad breasted or heritage can die of heart failure if fed too high a fat diet.
Thanks!

Because I thought it would be cruel to not say this, my white broad breasted female is a year and a half old and is perfectly healthy. She has no issues and never has, lays eggs often and is healthy as can be.

Back
Top Bottom