Broiler Chick Mortality Rate

wlbaker3

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 7, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
I just received my first batch of CX meat bird chicks from Meyer Hatchery today. They shipped 27 chicks. 2 were DOA. Since they've been in the brooder (about 10 hours), I have lost two more. On my last check of them a few minutes ago, two more chicks are looking very sluggish, laying back on their backsides, and I'm afraid I'll lose them too. The rest of the batch looks good. This is not my first time brooding chicks, but it is my first with meat birds. They have free access to chick starter, fresh water, and a flood light to keep them warm.

Just wondering what sort of mortality rate one expects with these chicks?

I've found that little Cornish X chicks struggle a lot in the heat - might have been a tough trip through the mail. Make sure they aren't too warm. Perhaps some electrolytes in their water.

I just double checked my temps. Running 95 directly under the light, with plenty of room in the brooder to move around if they are warm. Ambient temp is about 80. Yesterday was a hot one, so I'm sure they were stressed in the mailing process.

Just found the two I was concerned about ... so that's 6 down in less than 12 hours, out of a batch of 27. So far, my first meat bird experiment is not off to such a great start.

I think you might want to give the hatchery a call. Perhaps they will compensate for your immediate losses??????? It's worth a try.

Every 14 days or so I receive 200 - 300 new chicks. They're transported by truck about 2 hours from the hatchery. I then transport them another hour to my place. Today I received 300 and there were no DOA's. Tonight, all is well....they look great. Brooder temp is about 90F. I'd like it a bit higher but that's the best I can do for now.

Here's a thread I started on this subject a week or so ago with my own personal experiences. Your losses seem really high, especially at this stage of the game. My losses are normally very low for the first couple of weeks or so. Afterwards, heat, weight, humidity, and other factors start taking their toll.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/794675/cornish-x-mortality-rates-my-personal-experiences

Back
Top Bottom