broken leg suspected

gadus

Songster
8 Years
Jul 28, 2015
Maine
Found a Buff Orpington sitting down on the coop floor when I went to open the run door. She's obviously unable to put any weight on her legs and has been seated all day in a makeshift cage I have in my mudroom. What is the prognosis for stuff like this? I haven't examined the legs yet, just wanted to see what she did during the day but maybe tomorrow I'll turn her over and have a look.

Short of a vet's visit (not going to happen), what have others done with a break? Is a makeshift splint an option or is this pie-in-the-sky optimism?

Thanks.

I have heard of others using splints for broken legs. If she is in pain, I would give her pain medication. 5 tablets of regular strength Advil dissolved in 1 gallon of water should be good.

I currently am nursing a hen with a bad leg, so I might have some advice to give you if you can figure out what is wrong.

Are you sure they are breaks? Is it both legs? There are many avian diseases/illnesses that cause paralysis... :( How are her wings (droopy and limp or neatly folded in)? Does she seem ill in any other regard (droopy eye lids/sleepy appearance, ruffled feathers, loss of appetite, runny nose, weird poo or etc...)? Could you post a few pics of her feet/legs when you get the chance? (Multiple angles, side, footpad, front and back, are best). Though some breaks are mendable, acting as soon as possible can be critical. However, If a break is too serious or beyond you ability to mend (given a veterinarian is not an option), euthanasia is often more humane.

First you need to do an exam to see if there is a break, go slowly, gently, feeling all parts of the leg, compare both legs as it's unlikely that both would be broken. If you find a break then it may be able to be splinted depending on where the break is. Here is a link showing the leg bones, different bird, anatomy is the same: http://www.starlingtalk.com/fractures.htm
Breaks near the hip do not splint well and may need to be pinned (surgery) in order to heal.
Also, using a chicken sling can help to keep the weight off. You can do searches for both slings and splinting methods. If you splint make sure that it is not too tight, watch for swelling, you don't want to cut circulation off. Also make sure that nothing will rub or abrade the leg. If you don't find a break then the sling may help if it's a sprain or strain.
If not, then you will need to consider other possibilities than injury. Here are a couple of sling pictures:
upload_2018-2-25_19-1-1.png

upload_2018-2-25_19-21-26.png

How old is this bird? It could be Mereks disease. The best test I know of for a break is to put your finger under her feet and see if she curls her toes around it. If she doesn't react then most likely it's disease. You can also give her St. John's wort as a pain med. Just open the capsule and mix it in her water. You don't have to worry about it being too little or too much. Sometimes St. John's wort will actually get them back on their feet with mereks, but if she recovers she will get it again and eventually die because she can't get to food or water.
If it appears she has a broken leg you can split it using vet wrap.

Thanks to all. I will have my wife help me with an exam today and take some pics.

Bird is almost two years old and other than runny poo, doesn't seem droopy or otherwise "off" . She doesn't seem to want to eat or drink what's in front of her though.

I'm not sure what's going on. Bird is fully alert but doesn't seem to be interested in food or water. She is quiet (have not been able to interview her re pain). She can stand, albeit briefly (when I set her down outside the cage. No discernable damage, although I suppose I can poke and prod a bit more. Hoping she just landed wrong getting off the roost and has a sprain or something. I'll keep checking.

Just a thought, may be off base, but any possibility that she's broody? Broody's will refuse to stand, won't eat or drink much, can be quite stubborn about it.

Not broody. But you're right about it being a broody breed. No, this one is more or less completely immobile and certainly exhibits none of the usual clucking noises and protectiveness associated with being broody. Also, it appears to have difficulty lifting itself which if you've ever harrassed a broody hen, would never seem to be any problem.

Back
Top Bottom