Brooder for early March

winterwolf4

Songster
Feb 17, 2023
Oregon
I am setting up a brooder for early March as my chicks come in the mail on March 8th. In the past we have raised +5 batches of chicks ourselves in a 100 gallon stock tank with 2 to 4 inches of shavings with a white or red light. Is there anything I should be doing differently with mail order chicks?
I ordered some spendy ones that were $20 per pullet. I really don't want them to die on me. Is there anything advice I should know? I ordered 23 chicks, how many should I expect to make it?

Where are you and what time of year did you raise your other chicks, if same time of year and chicks were day olds same as shipped chicks you should be fine with what you have been doing. I would get them warmed up as quickly as possible and get them some nutri-drench to give on arrival.

I live in Oregon and we have been raising chicks in the brooder since January. We have even been down to the mid 20's and the chicks are still doing fine. They huddled under the light so my husband lowered it. The chicks would dry off in the incubator and go to the brooder around day 2.

What is nutri-drench?

Sounds like you have things going well I wouldn't do anything different if you haven't had any problems with your setup. Just get them warmed up fast and give them the nutri-drench in water and if some are week and not doing well give them a drop directly on side of beak a few times a day to get them back on their feet. Get them eating a good chick starter and drinking and you should be fine. You can never be sure how they will handle the shipping there are so many variables. That many chicks should handle the colder temps of shipping but like I stated so many variables to say how they will arrive or how many would survive the stress after.

Sounds like you have things going well I wouldn't do anything different if you haven't had any problems with your setup. Just get them warmed up fast and give them the nutri-drench in water and if some are week and not doing well give them a drop directly on side of beak a few times a day to get them back on their feet. Get them eating a good chick starter and drinking and you should be fine. You can never be sure how they will handle the shipping there are so many variables. That many chicks should handle the colder temps of shipping but like I stated so many variables to say how they will arrive or how many would survive the stress after.
Do I put the nutri-drench straight into the water container?

Back
Top Bottom