Brooder system for 20 (ish) chicks?

chandlerchickens

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2024
We are getting 20 chicks in a few weeks, and I figure we will end up with around 15-18 give or take. I'm trying to figure out the best brooder system. Is there a brooder that will get all of them to the point of going to the coop? (A fairly large shed that's been converted) or should I split them into 2-3 brooders? Any input appreciated!

Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

What breed chickens? I ask because for instance, Silkie chicks can't join the adults until they are 5 months old. Other chicks/chickens can much sooner.

If you're handy to build one, this one's in our house. Hubby looked at others on BYC then drew up the plans to make the one we use now. We'd let them grow in this until they are about 6-weeks to 2-months old, then out to the temp coop they go. They have a cozy coop radiant heater in a hutch so they stay warm.

Last night we brought in the three young ones from their temp coop. These are almost 3 months old in it.

1705472024735.png

Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

What breed chickens? I ask because for instance, Silkie chicks can't join the adults until they are 5 months old. Other chicks/chickens can much sooner.

If you're handy to build one, this one's in our house. Hubby looked at others on BYC then drew up the plans to make the one we use now. We'd let them grow in this until they are about 6-weeks to 2-months old, then out to the temp coop they go. They have a cozy coop radiant heater in a hutch so they stay warm.

Last night we brought in the three young ones from their temp coop. These are almost 3 months old in it.

View attachment 3727619
Thank you!! Look at those cuties. They’re lavender orpingtons, Easter ethers, prairie bluebells and starlight green eggers. They won’t be joining any other chicks in their coop!

Is that 45 as the low and 63 as the high or are those the daytime high range?

What brooder heat source are you looking to use?
Brooder plates are designed to be used in an already heated structure so are unlikely to be warm enough in an unheated structure.

I brood in the coop with a very securely hung (I use chain) heat lamp. For 20 chicks 2 lamps would likely be needed.

Assuming your forecast agrees that that's high's and low's that should be fine then. A well secured heat lamp on one side of the coop would probably work best since it's a larger group of chicks. That will give them a warm side to stay warmed up, and cooler space where they can escape from heat if they don't want it.

The first few days to a week, consider taping together some cardboard boxes to make a smaller surrounded area inside the coop so the chicks don't wander too far from the heat and food. After about a week or so they will be much steadier and mobile and should be fine with the whole space opened up.

Back
Top Bottom