brooding hen destroying eggs

dandar

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
central nebraska
i have a pair of mallard ducks, and they r brooding on same nest together, the father is a khaki buff...
ok that said....the TRUE mother to the eggs is sitting without problems...now sister, is destroying their eggs...she brought out one yesterday and had opened it the embryo was complete(don't start hatching for +/- 3-4 days yet. so she brings out one this morning and it was full of yellow matter..no fetus...so now she brought out another one and it was opened, with some blood can see the sack and the embryo looks great...dead but great.So is this hen bringing out the ones she thinks aren't vile??? or is she being ornery I also have a buff O. chicken sitting on a whole nest of duck eggs, she is very dedicated to the eggs has not left the nest the entire period they also are with in hatching a few days ........will i have anything to do particularly??
do i separate the mothers? what about the fathers(khaki) will he be alright with the eggs after hatching/
celebrate.gif

i have a pair of mallard ducks, and they r brooding on same nest together, the father is a khaki buff...
ok that said....the TRUE mother to the eggs is sitting without problems...now sister, is destroying their eggs...she brought out one yesterday and had opened it  the embryo was complete(don't start hatching for +/- 3-4 days yet.  so she brings out one this morning and it was full of yellow matter..no fetus...so now she brought out another one and it was opened, with some blood can see the sack and the embryo looks great...dead but great.So is this hen bringing out the ones she thinks aren't vile??? or is she being ornery   I also have a buff O. chicken sitting on a whole nest of duck eggs, she is very dedicated to the eggs has not left the nest the entire period they also are with in hatching a few days ........will i have anything to do particularly??
do i separate the mothers? what about the fathers(khaki) will he be alright with the eggs after hatching/:celebrate

Two hens on one nest often leads to trouble. Sister may have become an egg eater; consider penning her away from the nest and let the true mother hatch the eggs in peace. Watch the drake after the ducklings hatch and if need be separate him too. Chicken broodys will take care of ducklings. Keep them away from ponds, etc. Hens can not follow duckling that have gone for a swim.

thanks so much ..I had sister out for a while yesterday and she is all fluffed up and acts like she is in (heat) so do i let her with my other male drake or keep her separated from everyone for a while I am new to this but getting excited

thanks so much ..I had sister out for a while yesterday and she is all fluffed up and acts like she is in (heat) so do i let her with my other male drake or keep her separated from everyone for a while I am new to this but getting excited 

I know of no reason why sister can not be put with the drake; just keep her away from the hen that is brooding the eggs. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom